dotConnect for Oracle breaks WPF designer.

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
heder

dotConnect for Oracle breaks WPF designer.

Post by heder » Mon 31 Jan 2011 12:31

Hi!
I have a really odd issue with dotConnect for Oracle and Visual Studio 2010.
The WPF designer behaves erratically when dotConnect is installed (in particular, when the "Design time support assemblies" is installed.

Normally, when you drag visual components from the toolbox to a WPF window, the cursor reverts to a normal pointer after the component is dropped on the WPF designer. (Which enables you to select elements and move them around)...
In my case, the cursor becomes a crosshair, which means that if a click on the designer after dropping a component, it just draws out more and more components. Not even clicking the pointer icon in the toolbox gets the normal pointer back. The only way is to close the form and open it again. I have tried resetting the toolbox, without any effect. When you do heavy editing in the WPF design surface, this gets very annoying.

The odd thing about this is that if I uninstall dotConnect, it works as expected. I have nailed it down to the dll Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.dll. I did some testing, and if I rename this dll and start Visual Studio, I get an expected error message saying that it could not load the dll, but the behaviour then works as expected. Unfortunately no other features of dotConnect works either... ;-)

I have tried uninstalling VS2010, everything dev.related on the box and even reinstalling .Net FW 4.0, but the issue is still there.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour?

Regards
//Thomas

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 01 Feb 2011 14:59

Thank you for your report.
We have already received a similar report but we cannot reproduce the issue in our environment at the moment. Maybe this will help to resolve the design time problems: try running the dotConnect for Oracle installation with the "As Administrator" option (for Windows Vista and Windows 7). If this does help, please contact us and give the following information:
1) a full list of your Visual Studio's add-ins: the Help > About menu of Visual Studio;
2) do you have the Install.log file in the folder of dotConnect for Oracle installation (by default, C:\Program Files\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle\)? If yes, send it to us;
3) the full versions (with the build number) and editions of your dotConnect for Oracle, Visual Studio 2010, and operating system;
4) the Visual Studio log files (ActivityLog.xml and ActivityLog.xsl) that will be stored at this path after you run VS with the /log option:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your_User_Name\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ .
Here is a documentation about the /log option:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 00%29.aspx.

heder

Post by heder » Wed 02 Feb 2011 06:03

Hi!

Yep, I'm quite sure that this is the same issue as described in the other thread, since I recently discovered that it also breaks the designer for Windows Phone 7 Developer Tools. (In the way that dragging and dropping components to the design surface doesn't work at all).
However, I don't think that it is directly related to WP7 Dev.tools, since there are developers here that have both WP7 and dotConnect installed without having the issue...

I will get back to you with more information and logfiles...

//Thomas

heder

Post by heder » Thu 03 Feb 2011 12:12

Just to inform the forum, I have sent you the the logfiles you asked for via the support form...

//Thomas

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 07 Feb 2011 14:24

We have reproduced the described problem with designer. The most probable reason is a compatibility issue with VMWare Workstation add-in for Visual Studio - VMDebugger (but after its installation the problem persists even if you uninstall VMWare Workstation completely): http://www.devtopics.com/visual-studio- ... e-culprit/.

We are investigating the problem. We will post the results here.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 10 Feb 2011 16:49

We have investigated the issue. The root cause is the bug with compatibility with Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 Power Tools (broken designers for WPF, Silverlight, etc ). The problem is fixed. I will post here when the corresponding build of dotConnect for Oracle is available for download.

We have sent you by e-mail a temporary workaround.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 24 Feb 2011 15:07

New build of dotConnect for Oracle 6.10.111 is available for download now!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only): http://secure.devart.com/ .
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20337 .