Devart is glad to announce the release of the new version of dotConnect for Oracle, enhanced database connectivity solution built over ADO.NET architecture that offers Entity Framework and LINQ to SQL support. New dotConnect for Oracle offers new greatly improved Entity Developer 3.00 and LinqConnect 2.00.
LinqConnect continues to improve, and now in version 2.00 it has many new features:
- Batch Updates
Now LinqConnect can execute DML statements in batches on SubmitChanges call, which improves performance of update operations.
- Table Per Type inheritance
New kind of inheritance hierarchy - Table per Type is supported now in addition to Table Per Hierarchy support.
- ASP.NET Dynamic Data
New templates for ASP.NET Dynamic Data projects are now included into LinqConnect package. This allows you to create ASP.NET Dynamic Data applications, using LinqConnect.
LinqConnect 2.00 supports Parallel LINQ, which offers performance improvements for your applications, using LinqConnect.
- Visual Studio Debugger Visualizer for DataQuery objects
Now you can view SQL code, generated for your LINQ queries, while debugging your application. Debugger visualizer highlights SQL syntax of your query for better readability.
The new version of Entity Developer delivers advanced Model First support and Update model from database functionality.
New Entity Developer provides advanced Model First support for both Entity Framework 1 and 4, for LinqConnect, and for LINQ to SQL. Model First approach implementation in Entity Developer offers automatic synchronization of mapping and storage part with the conceptual part of the model and easy to use wizards for synchronizing database with the model.
- Synchronizing Database with the Model
Entity Developer offers you two options for creating database based on your model. You may either generate a create script, that creates a new database, or use Update to Database Wizard that synchronizes an existing database with the model. This wizard makes only necessary changes to the database and retain the data if possible. Even changes inside entity are detected and resulted in ALTER statements, the table doesn't need to be dropped and created again. The wizard displays the tree of the changed objects and their changes, allowing you to choose which database objects need to be synchronized with the model, specify the renamed objects, etc.
- Mapping Synchronization
When automatic mapping synchronization is enabled, changes to the conceptual model are automatically applied to its mapping and storage part. For example, when you add a class to the conceptual part, a corresponding table is created in the storage part, and the class is automatically mapped to this table. Even the most complex conceptual part changes are supported - complex types, many-to-many associations, complex hierarchies. All these changes can be automatically reflected in the storage part. However you may make manual changes to the storage part, and they will be preserved when editing conceptual part.
Updating Model from Database
Update From Database Wizard was the most demanded feature at our UserVoice forum. The opinion of our users is important to us, so this feature was implemented in Entity Developer 3.00 as soon as possible.
Update From Database Wizard allows synchronizing your model with the database for Entity Framework, LinqConnect, and LINQ to SQL in a fast and convenient way. Unlike standard Visual Studio Update Wizard, Entity Developer Update From Database Wizard tries to preserve manual changes to the model where possible. The wizard detects all the database changes that can affect the model, e.g. created and deleted tables and views, their columns and foreign keys, column datatype changes, created and deleted stored procedures and functions, changes to their parameters etc.
Here is the complete list of dotConnect for Oracle 6.00.58 features:
- Implemented returning the error code of SocketExceptions thrown on network errors occurring when opening Direct connections
- The NumberMapping and NumberMappingCollection classes renamed to OracleNumberMapping and OracleNumberMappingCollection
- Implemented the OracleConnection.PassParametersByName property and the 'Pass Parameters By Name' connection string parameter
- Added the 'Number Mappings' connection string parameter that allows to change default mappings of Oracle Number and Float types to .NET number types
- Added the 'Validate Connection' connection string parameter to validate connection on its retrieving from pool
- Fixed bug with validating connections in pool
- Fixed bug with setting XMLTYPE fields of Oracle Objects
- Fixed bug with creating timestamps with Timezone = 14
- Fixed bug with WebSite projects in Delphi Prism
- Fixed bug with DbType.String parameter for long strings (>4000)
- Ability to execute DML statements in batches on SubmitChanges added
- Table Per Type inheritance supported
- Supported ASP.NET Dynamic Data with ASP.NET Dynamic Data project templates
- PLINQ support added (connection manager redesigned for thread safety)
- Supported Visual Studio Debugger Visualizer with SQL syntax highlighting for the DataQuery objects
- Changed behaviour: retrieving master entity from details one now generates left outer join instead of inner join
- Added Update Model From Database functionality
- Update To Database with Storage Synchronization functionality added
- Added possibility for changing the UpdateCheck property for several fields at once
- Added multiselect support for properties
- Improved large models handling
- Fixed bug with IndexOutOfRangeException on code generation
- Fixed bug with keyword quotation in the Source property
- Fixed bug with Unknown parameter direction
- Fixed "Cannot find column Position" bug
- Fixed bug with Visual Basic code generation for stored functions
- Fixed bug with not loading Master property in Detail entity of master/details associations
- Fixed bug with mapping One-to-One associations to One-to-Many
- Fixed bug with Default Value in Entity Framework models
- Fixed bug with mapping Number parameters of stored procedures
- Fixed bug with default editor in Visual Studio
- Fixed bug with associations that crash Visual Studio
- Fixed bug with Guid and inheritance
- Fixed bug with pipelined functions
- Fixed 'Model is not registered' bug
- Fixed bug with Retrieve Data
- Fixed some bugs in Team Foundation Server support