- The template we use is in a static place beside the model, but there's no way to set a relative reference to this file, meaning each developer has to manually create their copy of the template (more on that below), any way this can be relative?
The generation directory is also an absolute reference, relative would be useful here as well, otherwise each developer that changes the model has to set it to their local path of the project, generate, commit, and the next person if it's anyone else, has to change it again.
The connection string to the database for the model would ideally not be stored in the model, but in a separate file which we could exclude from source control...different developers have different setups, and the database/connection strings may not be identical.
- We all have the model in source control (and I could be an idiot if I am missing this please, please show me), currently there is no way to reference an existing template, you have to create and copy/paste in, and then save over the same template that's source controlled...even though I'm not changing it.
This is more than a minor annoyance because of another problem...templates are lost each time we upgrade dotConnect. Can the templates either be stored on the model (as a relative path!) or somewhere on my system? Every upgrade of the software results in these steps:
1) Uninstall dotConnect (manually, the new installer ideally would at least initiate this...)
2) Install new dotConnect
3) Open the model, go to add template
4) Outside entity developer, go find the template, open it, copy everything
5) Re-create the same template as before uninstall (the model is still asking for it by name!), paste the contents in
6) Now I'm able to generate
These suggestions aren't to sound negative, just our current bottlenecks when working with your product, we love the product and are impressed with the speed you guys have resolved our bugs. Keep up the great work...if you make improvements that would ease the problems I've listed above, it will make it even easier to use, at least in our case but hopefully to many other users.