Problem since installing 5.00.20

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Post Reply
TroelsLarsen
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu 07 Aug 2008 09:42

Problem since installing 5.00.20

Post by TroelsLarsen » Mon 26 Jan 2009 08:54

Ever since we started using 5.00.20, we've been having a weird problem with the data retrived. When trying to fetch the VARCHAR2(50) field, "value" from our configuration table, we get "LastUse" instead of the actual value "LastUsedProject". Similarly, "LocationAndSize" becomes "Locatio".

Has anyone experienced anything similar? We haven't changed any code in places that would cause this behaviour, and the offending line is as close to the provider as possible:

string name = r["Name"].ToString();

where r is a DbDataReader.

Shalex
Site Admin
Posts: 8245
Joined: Thu 14 Aug 2008 12:44

Post by Shalex » Mon 26 Jan 2009 13:01

We cannot reproduce this issue.
Please make sure that the problem persists with VARCHAR2, not NVARCHAR2 (there were some modifications with NVARCHAR2 in the last build). Please specify your connection string, the version of the Oracle server, your current charset at your database.

Could you please send me (alexsh*devart*com) a small test project that reproduces the problem? Please include definitions of database objects and avoid using third-party components.

TroelsLarsen
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu 07 Aug 2008 09:42

Post by TroelsLarsen » Tue 27 Jan 2009 09:26

I just discovered something new:

This connection string works fine:
- User ID=XXXXX; Password=XXXXX; Data Source=MARSNET; Direct=False;

This one doesn't:
User ID=XXXXX; Password=XXXXX; Data Source=AppServer; SID=orcl; Direct=true; Port=1522;

Do you have any ideas as to what the problem is using direct?

The problem is not new to 5.0.20.0, it is also there in 5.0.12.0. It might not be a bug in the provider at all, but any ideas as to where this problem lies are greatly appreciated.

Shalex
Site Admin
Posts: 8245
Joined: Thu 14 Aug 2008 12:44

Post by Shalex » Tue 27 Jan 2009 13:47

We cannot reproduce the problem.
Please give us the following information.
1. Version of your Oracle server, its charset.
2. What regional settings are set on your computer (Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options, the Regional options tab (Standards and formats, Location) and the Advanced tab (Language for non-Unicode programs))?
3. Could you please send me (alexsh*devart*com) a small test project that reproduces the problem? Please include definitions of database objects and avoid using third-party components.

TroelsLarsen
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu 07 Aug 2008 09:42

Post by TroelsLarsen » Tue 27 Jan 2009 14:17

Shalex wrote:We cannot reproduce the problem.
Please give us the following information.
1. Version of your Oracle server, its charset.
2. What regional settings are set on your computer (Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options, the Regional options tab (Standards and formats, Location) and the Advanced tab (Language for non-Unicode programs))?
3. Could you please send me (alexsh*devart*com) a small test project that reproduces the problem? Please include definitions of database objects and avoid using third-party components.
We're moving it from a virtual machine to hardware, I'll let you know if this solves it, otherwise I'll post the information you requested..

pari
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:33

We have this problem too

Post by pari » Thu 29 Jan 2009 06:16

Hi,
we have this problem too. You can try overtake (until new version) the problem by "unicode=true" clause in connection string.

Kind regards, PaRi

TroelsLarsen
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu 07 Aug 2008 09:42

Post by TroelsLarsen » Thu 29 Jan 2009 10:12

We were moving to a new server anyway (old was 10.2.0.3.0, new is 10.2.0.4.0), and that seems to have done the trick.

I honestly don't know what caused this, but for us, it is resolved. I'm partial to blame the Virtual PC setup. I'll try the unicode on the old server tag just out of curiosity.

Shalex
Site Admin
Posts: 8245
Joined: Thu 14 Aug 2008 12:44

Post by Shalex » Thu 29 Jan 2009 14:31

We have reproduced the problem with the NVARCHAR2 column in the Direct mode when the Unicode property is set to false. We will post here when the problem is resolved.

Shalex
Site Admin
Posts: 8245
Joined: Thu 14 Aug 2008 12:44

Post by Shalex » Mon 02 Feb 2009 16:40

We have fixed the problem with the NVARCHAR2 column in the Direct mode when the Unicode property is set to false.
Look forward to the next build of dotConnect for Oracle.

Post Reply