Membership not login me in

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 06 May 2010 12:24

As a workaround, you may set the hashAlgorithmType property to SHA1 and re-set the users' passwords. I was able to login in such case, please tell us if you are encountering any difficulties with this.

fastc

Post by fastc » Thu 06 May 2010 17:24

I have tried to create a new user using the ASP.NET configuration with my modified web.config but was not able to login with the new user.

fastc

Post by fastc » Mon 10 May 2010 08:38

Any news when a new version will be available?

This issue is a show stopper for all of my ASP.NET MySQL projects because I already use new .NET 4 features so I can't go back to .NET 3.5

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 13 May 2010 15:09

Fastc, please try this code:

Code: Select all

MembershipCreateStatus status; 
        Membership.CreateUser("user", "pass!word", "[email protected]", "why?", "because", true, out status); 
        // status=Success 
        bool isValid = Membership.ValidateUser("user", "pass!word"); 
        // isValid=true
with the setting you have mentioned when registering our provider:

isValid is true with the 5.70.124 version of dotConnect for MySQL in our test environment. Please tell us your version and your result.

We plan to release the new build in a week.

fastc

Post by fastc » Sun 16 May 2010 21:50

Yes that works.

But it seems that I still have sometimes a login problem which I can't reproduce right now. Sometimes the login failes without any logged exception. I'am not sure if this has something todo with the Devart connector it could also be a .NET 4 problem only.

KW

Having same issue

Post by KW » Wed 19 May 2010 23:08

Shalex wrote:Fastc, please try this code:

MembershipCreateStatus status; 
        Membership.CreateUser("user", "pass!word", "[email protected]", "why?", "because", true, out status); 
        // status=Success 
        bool isValid = Membership.ValidateUser("user", "pass!word"); 
        // isValid=true
with the setting you have mentioned when registering our provider:

isValid is true with the 5.70.124 version of dotConnect for MySQL in our test environment. Please tell us your version and your result.

We plan to release the new build in a week.
I am trying your solution but I get this in return
Unrecognized attribute:hashAlgorithmType
5.70.124.0 is version.

Do I need to reference an additional assembly?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 21 May 2010 14:32

dotConnect for MySQL v 5.80 is released!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18031 .

KW, please try this latest build. It seems like that the Unrecognized attribute:hashAlgorithmType error you have got when making a workaround was caused by setting the hashAlgorithmType attribute not in the section but in . Anyway, please try the 5.80.140 build.

KW

Post by KW » Fri 21 May 2010 18:37

Shalex wrote:dotConnect for MySQL v 5.80 is released!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18031 .

KW, please try this latest build. It seems like that the Unrecognized attribute:hashAlgorithmType error you have got when making a workaround was caused by setting the hashAlgorithmType attribute not in the section but in . Anyway, please try the 5.80.140 build.
Thank you.

PHGamer

Post by PHGamer » Fri 11 Jun 2010 15:37

OK, I am going to document this in a few places because the answer to my specific problem wasn’t anywhere to be found.

Longform:
The overt problem: The user logon code provided by Microsoft, Membership.ValidateUser stopped working after working for a number of months. The supporting code for this method was also “canned” and was largely plagiarized from Microsoft’s website, up to and including the remarks.

Collateral problems: I was heavily multitasking at the time, and changes had been made to numerous parts of the project, which clouded the symptoms of this problem.

Cause: I was creating a Development and Test version of the project and changed the web.config settings to point to the Development database. However, changing web.config back to production did not fix the problem. It did fix the intermediate problem with connections to the web services. Which was, of course a serious part of the problem. Deleting and restoring the entire solution from a known working backup did not fix the log on problem.

Final Solution: Edited copy of web.config at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\YOURWEBPROJECTNAME\web.config,
I don’t know where the settings are that System.Web.Security.Membership points to the published location, vice the projects development location on G: Drive, or why publishing once caused the change, but republishing didn’t rewrite web.config.

Shortform:
Having problems with Membership.ValidateUser? Check the settings to ALL your web.config files, even ones you don't know you have.