Embed dbx 4.0 driver into EXE

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for Oracle in Delphi and C++Builder
luboice

Embed dbx 4.0 driver into EXE

Post by luboice » Thu 06 Dec 2007 13:16

Hi,

I want to ask is it possible to embed your driver for DBExpress 4.0 included in Delphi 2007 into the final executable. We also bought the source of your driver, if this is required.

Thanks in advance

Plash
Devart Team

Post by Plash » Wed 12 Dec 2007 15:01

In the next build of DbxOda with Sources we'll include DbxOdaDriverLoader unit that can be used to embed the driver to your application. We'll also add information about using this unit in ReadMeSrc.txt file that is located in the DbxOda installation directory.

We are planning to release new DbxOda build in few days.

luboice

Post by luboice » Thu 13 Dec 2007 08:28

Thank you
We'll be waiting for the next release

gb

Post by gb » Wed 05 Mar 2008 14:54

Hi,

I'm using dbExpress driver for Oracle Standard with source code, v4.20.7, on C++Builder 2007 R2, and, in spite of following the instructions on ReadMeSrc.txt, I'm not being able to link builtin Oracle DBX connection support. Linker complains about missing OraNet.obj (and possibly also OraCrypt.obj?).

Am I doing something wrong or there isn't yet support for integrating it on a C++ application?

Thank you.

Plash
Devart Team

Post by Plash » Thu 06 Mar 2008 11:22

Currently DbxOda supports only embedding into Delphi applications.

gb

Post by gb » Thu 06 Mar 2008 12:34

Is it ok to assume that the next version will also include support for C++?

Quoting the ReadMeSrc.txt:
"Driver version with sources can be built into your applications. So you do not need to distribute the driver's DLL with your application.

Make the following steps to use the built-in driver with CodeGear RAD Studio, Delphi 2007 and C++Builder 2007:"

This fairly sets the expectations to be able to use it with "C++Builder 2007", right?

I'm probably way out on the issue, but wouldn't it be "just" a matter of including OraNet.obj in addition to OraNet.dcu (as well as a couple other possible dependencies)?

Adding the -JPHNE flag to dcc32, got me all the needed .hpp and .obj files, but the ones from OraNet (because it's closed source and distributed only as a dcu - which is ok, by me).

Honestly, the reason I bought the source was really to be able to connect to the oracle databases without additional DLL's - and incidentally I develop almost exclusively with C++Builder.

Thank you for your time on this.

Regards

Plash
Devart Team

Post by Plash » Fri 07 Mar 2008 08:25

Probably OraNet.obj and OraCrypt.obj files cannot solve this problem. We have tried to compile an application with these files. The compiler uses OraNet.dcu. Then the linker uses OraNet.obj, and it reports an error about unresolved externals.

At the same time we can build a C++Builder application that uses ODAC with sources (DbxOda and ODAC have the same sources), using only OraNet.dcu and OraCrypt.dcu.

Currently we are investigating the problem with DbxOda. You will be notified when we get the result.

gb

Post by gb » Fri 07 Mar 2008 10:08

Thanks

gb

Post by gb » Thu 27 Mar 2008 10:26

Hi

Could you provide any news on this? No need for a fix date, just an heads up on the progress would be really helpful.

Thank you

Plash
Devart Team

Post by Plash » Tue 01 Apr 2008 08:26

We have found a way to compile C++Builder applications with DbxOdaDriverLoader. We'll include OraNet.obj, OraCrypt.obj, and instructions about using them, in the next build of DbxOda.

gb

Post by gb » Tue 01 Apr 2008 13:07

Much appreciated. Thank you.

gb

Post by gb » Fri 25 Jul 2008 17:18

Plash wrote:We have found a way to compile C++Builder applications with DbxOdaDriverLoader. We'll include OraNet.obj, OraCrypt.obj, and instructions about using them, in the next build of DbxOda.
Hi!

I tried the lastest version (4.20.10) and I'm still not being able to link it to a C++ project:
"unresolved external '__fastcall OraNet::InitNet referenced from ..."
"unresolved external '__fastcall OraNet::FreeNet referenced from ..."

After running a diff on ReadMeSrc.txt, the only visible change was the dropping of " and C++Builder 2007"

from the sentence

"Make the following steps to use the built-in driver with CodeGear RAD Studio, Delphi 2007 and C++Builder 2007:"

Was this the fix for the next build that has been mentioned 3 months ago, or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

gb

Plash
Devart Team

Post by Plash » Mon 28 Jul 2008 06:42

We can compile a C++Builder application with DbxOdaDriverLoader. But we have found another problem. So the application with built-in driver does not work. We have not found any solution yet.

gb

Post by gb » Mon 28 Jul 2008 11:42

Plash wrote:We can compile a C++Builder application with DbxOdaDriverLoader. But we have found another problem. So the application with built-in driver does not work. We have not found any solution yet.
Thank you for the quick reply.

I'll look forward with great expectation for the solution. As I mentioned before, the main reason to acquire the version *with* source was to compile the EXE with full oracle connectivity without any other external DLL, and until now we can't do it (because, incidentally, C++ is our main development language).

Regards,

gb

gb

Post by gb » Fri 08 Aug 2008 11:01

Plash wrote:We have found a way to compile C++Builder applications with DbxOdaDriverLoader. We'll include OraNet.obj, OraCrypt.obj, and instructions about using them, in the next build of DbxOda.
Hi!

I've just tried the latest version (4.20.11) and I'm still getting

[Linker Fatal Error] Unable to open file 'ORANET.OBJ'

I understand that this has been hard to solve but, it's just that I'm having this issue since the very first test way back ago (end of February).

If it's an issue with the linker maybe CodeGear is able to provide some help on it. Just a thought.

Thanks,

gb