Will it work?

Will it work?

Postby xchaotic » Wed 19 Oct 2005 21:09

First of all sorry for supposedly lame questions, but well, I couldn't help myself:
I am about to develop a thin client connecting to a database.
I chose mySQL because it's most popular and pretty fast etc.
I chose Delphi because I know it best and code runs decently fast (I'll explain that later if neccesary).
I am about to choose myDAC because it fast and hopefully I also mean the development process.
Now just a few problem areas:
1. In one of the topic I've found that the trial for CBuilder won't work at customer's workstation, is it the same with Delphi?
If so that's bad, since my business model is to deploy the app and then use the earned money to buy the license.
2. I also noticed that it is is possible to deploy the app with embedded mysql server, any more licenses required?
3. Finally I downloaded the trial version, it doesn't work on a friends Delphi Professional 2005, is it due to prof version being limited to local databases? IF not, will it also work on personal version?

Kind regards,

Lech Rzedzicki

Updates:
I went to my friend's place, for some strange reason myDAC decided to store some of it's files in the:
C:\Program Files\Borland\BDS\Bin
wheras it was supposed to be
C:\Program Files\Borland\BDS\3.0\Bin
Few more tweaks, well described in the readme.txt and I had the demos running.
10 hours later I have my first db app up and running, it works well, both on a localhost and via net. That's just great. And a vast chunk of that time was database design.

You guys are just great, after a lot of trial and error I am finally getting to the point.
I've tried like 7 methods of accessing mysql, but nothing comares to direct access.

I don't understand the reasoning behind complicated proprietary systems like BDE and now dbExpress, sure it's for the sake of standardisation, but at some point you still have to access the actual database. So you have to know about mySQL anyway, so what's the point of middleware? :(
xchaotic

Postby Ikar » Thu 20 Oct 2005 13:28

> 1. In one of the topic I've found that the trial for CBuilder
> won't work at customer's workstation, is it the same with Delphi?

No, but you should copy lots of bpl files to client.

> 2. I also noticed that it is is possible to deploy the app with
> embedded mysql server, any more licenses required?

You don't need additional MyDAC license. We can't give any information about MySQL Embedded licensing.

> 3 Finally I downloaded the trial version, it doesn't work on
> a friends Delphi Professional 2005, is it due to prof version
> being limited to local databases? IF not, will it also work on
> personal version?

Architect, Professional and Enterprise editions are supported.
Which particular error do you get on a friend's Delphi Professional 2005?

> myDAC decided to store some of it's files in the:
> C:\Program Files\Borland\BDS\Bin

Please specify which particular files do you mean?
Ikar

Postby xchaotic » Mon 24 Oct 2005 18:10

Files that were wrongfully installed:
CRControls90.bpl
dacvcl90.bpl
dcldac90.bpl
dclmydac90.bpl
mydac90.bpl
mydacvcl90.bpl
After I copied them to the right foder everything works fine.
Actually I wrote the application already, so what do I do to make it work on customer's PCs? I chose Delphi VCL for .NET.
From the instruction it seemed that only two *.bpl will suffice, now I see that's not enough, I obviously installed the .net framework etc, what else to make it run for now?
How many files do I need to copy with the retail version?

Perhaps it would be sufficent to copy only the:
c:\program files\corelab\mydac for delphi2005\bin\CoreLab.Dac.dll
c:\program files\corelab\mydac for delphi2005\bin\CoreLab.Mydac.dll
These are the only ones listed in the references in project manager...

Regards,

Lech
xchaotic

Postby Ikar » Tue 25 Oct 2005 09:44

We recommend you to remove all links to MyDAC and Delphi assemblies from your project and use only dcuil-files. It's very simplify installation of your application on target PC
Ikar

Postby xchaotic » Tue 25 Oct 2005 16:21

Sorry to bother you like this, but what exactly do I do?
How do I remove those links?
xchaotic

Postby Ikar » Thu 27 Oct 2005 06:24

Go to View -> Project Manager -> -> References and remove all non-system packages.
Ikar

Postby xchaotic » Mon 21 Nov 2005 17:09

Sorry for not posting for a while, obviously that's the thing I did in the first place. I've tested the app, actually one the Master-Detail example that is included in mydac/demos/ package on:
WinXP Pro laptop (AMD)
WinXP Home PC (Intel)
WinXPPro (VMWare)
Win98 (Intel)
all of them have .NET framework installed.

The only modifications I made was to only leave the .NET related dlls in the references section. I also changed the localhost server to my test server. The app grew from kilobytes to megabytes, which normally would annoy me because it's not optimal, I was happy because I thought it would work. Still, the executable generates the same exception on all machines:

"IL Window: The application has generated an exception that could not be handled.. in module blah blah etc"

I tried some crazy things like including dac*.bpl and *.dll and many other files in the same folder or in system32 folder or both or same folder that the dev machine had, I installed .NET SDK and MyDAC on the client machine, the exception is always the same.

If you want to reproduce the problem, get two machines and install:
DevMachine: XP SP2(it has .net), D2005 + patches, MyDAC Trial, compile MasterDetail demo.
ClientMachine: XP SP2, run app

So the question arises will compiling with a retail version of myDACremove the exception?
xchaotic

Postby Ikar » Thu 24 Nov 2005 12:51

> myDAC decided to store some of it's files in the:
> C:\Program Files\Borland\BDS\Bin

We reproduced this problem and fixed it. This fix will be included in the next MyDAC build.

> So the question arises will compiling with a retail version of myDACremove the exception?

Yes, this is trial version exception. We will improve this behavior in future releases.
Ikar

Return to MySQL Data Access Components