sqlite64 driver - "The encryption property must be empty".. error

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of ODBC Drivers
qplace

sqlite64 driver - "The encryption property must be empty".. error

Post by qplace » Sun 12 Feb 2017 03:41

I created an ODBC64 data source using trial version of DevArt ODBC sqlite driver ("direct" option is turned on, Win10pro) and I am trying to configure linked server in sql2014 using this datasource. I am getting following error while configuring the linked server :
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "eoddev".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "eoddev" returned message "[Devart][ODBC][SQLite]The EncryptionKey property must be empty when no encryption algorithm specified". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

I did not configure encryption in ODBC. What could be the problem and how to fix it? Thanks.

MaximG
Devart Team

Re: sqlite64 driver - "The encryption property must be empty".. error

Post by MaximG » Thu 16 Feb 2017 08:34

You get this error due to the incorrect driver configuration in the utility "ODBC Data Source Administrator". You specify the password to the encrypted DB file in the "Encryption Key" field, but do not select the used algorithm in the "Encrypt Algorithm" field. If you don't use encryption, leave the default value for these fields. Otherwise, you should specify both values "Encryption Key" and "Encrypt Algorithm".

jfbruno

Post by jfbruno » Thu 25 Oct 2018 17:19

I have the same problem, with the x64 trial sqlite driver.

Yes, I have configured a system DSN in ODBC, x64, I left "Encryption Algorithm" as "Default", using "Direct", and I left the key blank, and unchecked "Save Key", but I still get the error:

OLD DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "xxx" returned message "[Devart][ODBC][SQLite][The EncryptionKey property must be empty when no encryption algorithm specified".

I also tried checking "Save key" and leaving the key blank, but get the same problem.

I also tried to manually create the "EncryptionKey" in the registry in ...SOFTWARE/ODBC/ODBC.INI/xxx/ and leaving it blank, but I still get the same error. Note that they "EncryptionKey" WAS NOT PRESENT until I created it. The other keys "Database" and "Driver" are there.

Did you test this driver w/no encryption on x64? It does not work.

Please advise on how to get around this bug.

Thanks!

-John

MaximG
Devart Team

Post by MaximG » Fri 26 Oct 2018 09:19

We could not reproduce the issue according to your description. Please provide detailed steps leading to the issue:

- create and configure DSN with a new name using our driver as a data source
- test the connection using the "Test Connection" button and tell us the results
- send us the connection parameters, for this, copy them in the window that appears when clicking the "..." button
- describe step by step the actions you perform when creating a Linked Server in SQL Server Management Studio
- get and send us a script to create the created Linked Server (for this, left-click the created Linked Server and select the corresponding menu item)