Project switch from Code Review Board takes 25 seconds

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
rade

Project switch from Code Review Board takes 25 seconds

Post by rade » Tue 11 Apr 2017 15:10

Hi All,

ReviewAssistant instance at my company has a configured number of 1000 users and 40 projects. Each project is assigned with every of these 1000 users. SQLExpress instance is being used for storage. With this number of users and projects, project switch from CodeReviewBoard becomes unacceptably slow and takes over 25 seconds.

After doing some SQL profiling, turns out obtaining data from SQL does not take majority of the time. Instead, it can be seen that the VisualStudio2015 extension obtains all 40000 records from ProjectUser table and then performs some painfully slow processing of them that takes over 20 seconds. Only after that project switch succeeds.

Time it takes to do a project switch linearly depends on the natural join of project and user table content. So if I lower down the number of users by 5 times (so that I have 200 records in Users table and 200*40=8000 records in ProjectUsers table) it takes 5 times less to do a project switch, that is ~5 seconds.

Have you performed any performance tests with this kind of sizing?
Can you suggest how to proceed further with this issue?

SvetlanaL

Re: Project switch from Code Review Board takes 25 seconds

Post by SvetlanaL » Wed 19 Apr 2017 08:51

Thank you for reporting the problem. We will investigate it.