New Code Review Details Report fails to output linked Work Items

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
lordneeko

New Code Review Details Report fails to output linked Work Items

Post by lordneeko » Wed 05 Aug 2015 19:47

The new Code Review Details are nice, but they still don't allow to create a report which links code changes and reviews to requirements (work items). Also, when I use the command line tool, the extracted information doesn't have the linked work item either.

Please fix to where it displays this information both in the report, and is reported in the command line tool.

This probably wouldn't be as big of an issue if the "Code Coverage" Report would handle Shelvesets (Pre-commit reviews)

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: New Code Review Details Report fails to output linked Work Items

Post by AlexeyN » Thu 06 Aug 2015 10:56

Unfortunately, due to the technical restrictions, it is impossible to show TFS work items in reports at the moment.

However, we will consider the possibility of implementing such feature in future releases.

lordneeko

Post by lordneeko » Thu 06 Aug 2015 11:32

All you really need to show is the number, not the WI's content. I know it is tracked in the DB because if I pull up a archived review, the work item link is still there.

Also, if I could pull out the number with the command line, then I could create Peer Review Audit reports for QA for each work item.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 07 Aug 2015 09:43

Review Assistant dynamically queries TFS work items at the client side, so it isn't stored in the database.

The command line API directly works with the Review Assistant server, that's why it doesn't return information about TFS work items.

The Code Review Details report is generated at the server side, so it doesn't have TFS work items for the same reason too.

lordneeko

Post by lordneeko » Wed 30 Sep 2015 14:05

AlexeyN wrote:Review Assistant dynamically queries TFS work items at the client side, so it isn't stored in the database.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense. I can go into the Review Archive and look up a review from months ago (a review that I did not perform), and it still shows the work item attached. So it was saved SOMEWHERE. And, that somewhere had to have been on the database server.

Regardless, we NEED the ability to link back to the review. Otherwise, it didn't happen.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Mon 05 Oct 2015 10:12

Review Assistant queries TFS work items from TFS server at the client side. But Review Assistant server doesn't have such code, so it has no ability to query TFS work items yet. We have plans to do such functionality in the future.