Help on submission of Code revisions

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
lordneeko

Help on submission of Code revisions

Post by lordneeko » Fri 19 Dec 2014 17:04

We are evaluating this tool for organizational deployment.

The help file doesn't really specify how a Author submits a new set of revisions.

It just says "commit to the repository"

So, I'm trying to figure out the steps involved here. We are using TFS and a Pre-commit Check-in policy

Is the correct process:

Author attempts Check-in and is blocked by policy.
Author creates the review (which creates the Shelveset)
Reviewer finds a defect and Rejects the change
Author makes correction on his local workspace file
(These are the steps we don't know)
Does the Author attempt to Check-in again?
Does the Author manually create a new shelveset?
Does the Author "Add revisions" to the Review or does he "Replace Recent Revisions"
These are the steps we don't know)

We're not sure the big difference between Add revision and replace, and when you would use each. And, we're not entirely sure the "most efficient" process for committing the new revision.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Help on submission of Code revisions

Post by AlexeyN » Mon 22 Dec 2014 11:32

Let's try to imagine your process.
  • Author attempts to check in and one is blocked by policy.
    Author double clicks at the policy, specifies the necessary information and creates review.
    Reviewer finds some defects and rejects review.
    Author fixes issues, creates new shelveset, adds it to the review, so it automatically reopens.
    Two previous steps repeated until Reviewer is satisfied and review is closed.
    Now Author can check-in his changes.
Due to limitations of TFS shelveset system, the 'Add revisions' button and 'Replace Recent Revisions' do the same thing - replace revisions.

lordneeko

Post by lordneeko » Tue 23 Dec 2014 13:22

After following your workflow, I made changes to a file in the review, then I created a new shelveset with just that file's changes.

When I click "Add Revisions" the window only shows Changesets. It won't list the Shelvesets.

The only time I'm able to add Shelvesets to a review is when I'm first creating it.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Wed 24 Dec 2014 12:52

When you create a new review, you can select what to add: changeset or shelveset. After creating a review, you will be able to work with only one kind of revisions, that you selected during review creation.

Automatic review creation from code review policy (doubleclick at policy) adds shelvesets, so you are able to operate only with shelvesets there.

I think you created review manually and accidentally added changeset instead of shelveset, so you are able to operate only with changesets.

lordneeko

Post by lordneeko » Wed 24 Dec 2014 14:24

AHA! You have answered my question! Thank you.

:D