Performance issues.

Performance issues.

Postby Nikita Govorov » Thu 20 Mar 2014 04:29

Hi,

We're considering usage of Review Assistant in our development process, it looks really promising(especially in contrast to built-in tfs review tool). However unfortunately we've faced unpleasant performance issues. Opening(Refresh) review of 100 classes(files) with 350 comments takes 13-15(10-15% cpu usage) seconds on my quite fast machine(Intel Core i7-2600(4 cores) - 3.40GHz/16 GB RAM/SSD), visual studio hangs all this time. Environment: Visual Studio 2013 Update 1, Team Foundation Server 2012(workspace mode: local), AD integration enabled. It would be great at least to make loading/rendering asynchronous or ideally make loading/rendering asynchronous and optimize rendering performance of Code Review Board. There are another issues that I think are related to described above: when Auto Hide is enabled for Code Review Board window it takes 5-7 seconds(with visual studio hanging) to hide/expand the window with opened review(350 comments) in it, shit+alt+insert[Add Review Comment] also takes 4-5 seconds, even if review is opened in active Code Review Board window.

If there are any recommendations how to make current version faster, please let me know.

Thanks.
Nikita Govorov

Re: Performance issues.

Postby AlexeyN » Thu 20 Mar 2014 12:14

Thank you for such a detailed response. I have created a task in our issue-tracking system - and we will investigate it deeply to improve the Review Assistant performance.

Your review surprised us. One hundred files with 350 comments in one review: is this normal for you or is it a rare situation?
AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Performance issues.

Postby Nikita Govorov » Fri 21 Mar 2014 03:43

Thanks, I'm really keen to test updated version and introduce the tool to our manager and the rest of the team so we could make final decision. Regarding to review size, I would say that it's average size for reviews of new functionality/features in our company(even taking into account that I splitted that review into several parts by tier: html/js, application server etc).
Nikita Govorov

Return to Review Assistant