Performance issues.

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
Nikita Govorov

Performance issues.

Post by Nikita Govorov » Thu 20 Mar 2014 04:29

Hi,

We're considering usage of Review Assistant in our development process, it looks really promising(especially in contrast to built-in tfs review tool). However unfortunately we've faced unpleasant performance issues. Opening(Refresh) review of 100 classes(files) with 350 comments takes 13-15(10-15% cpu usage) seconds on my quite fast machine(Intel Core i7-2600(4 cores) - 3.40GHz/16 GB RAM/SSD), visual studio hangs all this time. Environment: Visual Studio 2013 Update 1, Team Foundation Server 2012(workspace mode: local), AD integration enabled. It would be great at least to make loading/rendering asynchronous or ideally make loading/rendering asynchronous and optimize rendering performance of Code Review Board. There are another issues that I think are related to described above: when Auto Hide is enabled for Code Review Board window it takes 5-7 seconds(with visual studio hanging) to hide/expand the window with opened review(350 comments) in it, shit+alt+insert[Add Review Comment] also takes 4-5 seconds, even if review is opened in active Code Review Board window.

If there are any recommendations how to make current version faster, please let me know.

Thanks.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Performance issues.

Post by AlexeyN » Thu 20 Mar 2014 12:14

Thank you for such a detailed response. I have created a task in our issue-tracking system - and we will investigate it deeply to improve the Review Assistant performance.

Your review surprised us. One hundred files with 350 comments in one review: is this normal for you or is it a rare situation?

Nikita Govorov

Re: Performance issues.

Post by Nikita Govorov » Fri 21 Mar 2014 03:43

Thanks, I'm really keen to test updated version and introduce the tool to our manager and the rest of the team so we could make final decision. Regarding to review size, I would say that it's average size for reviews of new functionality/features in our company(even taking into account that I splitted that review into several parts by tier: html/js, application server etc).