Add Review Comment does not show in Visual Studio Internal diff tool

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
Piotr Kasprzyk

Add Review Comment does not show in Visual Studio Internal diff tool

Post by Piotr Kasprzyk » Tue 21 Jan 2014 19:43

Hello,

I have the diff tool in Review Assistant configured as "Visual Studio Internal", which is the setting that suits me most.
However, when I am trying to add a review comment, I cannot add it while comparing the changes - when I right click code window, the appropriate menu command does not show, and the keyboard shortcut does not work.
Is this "by design" behaviour?
Is there a way of adding the comments while comparing the code?

When I view only "Last revision" or "Base revision" or "Working copy" - the command shows, I can add comments, but it is not so useful.

Regards,

Piotr Kasprzyk,
Gliwice, Poland

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Add Review Comment does not show in Visual Studio Internal diff tool

Post by AlexeyN » Wed 22 Jan 2014 12:00

Unfortunately, Review Assistant does not support the Visual Studio internal diff tool due to Microsoft limitations to extending Visual Studio diff tool.

You should use Code Compare integrated to Visual Studio, that will allow you to add comments right from the comparison in the code editor:
http://www.devart.com/codecompare/

click2install

Post by click2install » Wed 02 Apr 2014 00:50

Does the free version of Code Compare offer this functionality or do you need to purchase the full version?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Wed 02 Apr 2014 09:55

Free version of Code Compare does not have any restriction with integration with Review Assistant. You can see difference Pro and Free version here.