Selecting TFS Multiple Revisions

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
cjlotz

Selecting TFS Multiple Revisions

Post by cjlotz » Tue 11 Sep 2012 11:05

There seems to a an issue when setting up a review for multiple revisions using TFS. If the revisions selected are not continuous, it will include the changes of different authors who checked in between the revisions that I selected for my review as well. I then need to manually go and remove all these files from the list of files to be removed. This is obviously a pain to do.

Thanks
Carel

Duke
Devart Team

Re: Selecting TFS Multiple Revisions

Post by Duke » Wed 12 Sep 2012 12:22

Hello Carel,

Try cherry-picking revisions using Ctrl+Click. This should help.

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Wed 12 Sep 2012 12:36

Though, I must admit that there was a bug with this functionality. But it's already fixed. Probably, you need to download the recent build of Review Assistant.

kmd

Post by kmd » Mon 27 May 2013 12:57

I have tested it on version 1.2.

My problem is that sure, I can pick non-continuous revisions holding the ctrl key, but the diffs are somehow confusing.

The thing is that if in one of included revisions (let's say that I've included two revisions: X and X+100) I have modified file A, I would like to see only a diff from these two revisions for that file.
Currently I will see a full diff from revision X to X+100 for that file, which is not correct.

I am having this issue on TFS 2012.

Please let me know whether you consider this a bug. If you need more details, let me know.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Wed 29 May 2013 14:47

It is impossible to show changes only for those two revisions. What shall we do with changes in the other 98 revisions? The code may be totally rewritten and such operation has no sense.

In the next Review Assistant version we will make more flexible revision choice system. But for your case, you will still need to open two comparisons. In one you open changes from X-1 to X revisions, in other changes - from X+99 to X+100 revisions.

kmd

Post by kmd » Tue 04 Jun 2013 07:37

AlexeyN - that is exactly what we need - the ability to open up two different comparisons (from X-1 to X revisions, and from X+99 to X+100 revisions).

Is that feature already available?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Tue 04 Jun 2013 12:14

You can compare any files from VCS in Code Compare Visual Studio extension and you will be able to add review comments there. Here is how to do it for your case:

Go to Visual Studio Tools menu -> Options -> Source Control -> Visual Studio Team Foundation Server -> Configure User Tools... Modify or add an entry with Compare operation:

Extension: .*
Command: [CodeCompareInstallationDir]\CodeCompare.exe
Arguments: /environment=visualstudio /SC=TFS /W /T1=%6 /T2=%7 %1 %2

Now all comparison from TFS Source Explorer will be opened only in Code Compare Visual Studio extension.

Create a review, add desired changesets and apply it. Make sure, that you have opened this review at Code Review Board.

Go to TFS Source Explorer, run the 'View History' context menu command either at a file or at a folder. Then you can select any revisions and run the 'Compare...' context menu command. Code Compare will be opened inside Visual Studio, where you will see desired changes and you will still be able to add review comments.

We will think how to do this operation more convenient in future versions.