Mobile Edition not working

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for universal data access
brian71us

Mobile Edition not working

Post by brian71us » Mon 02 Sep 2013 15:42

Hello,

I attempted to create my first .NET Compact Framework applications using the dotConnect Universal Mobile. Unfortunately the library is not working for me at the moment and I hope we can resolve the issues.

Issue #1

The applications that I develop are plug-ins for a Windows CE based scale (weigh) meter. Unfortunately the source code for the application is not and will never be available to me. When I create a plug-in for this application using dotConnect Universal mobile the library reports that it cannot find the license and to refer to your documentation for licensing information.

Note that the Devart.Data.Universal.licenses file is embedded into my plug-in assembly as a resource.

With other libraries I've been able to record the license for a commercial component and manually apply the license to the component at runtime via code. However, it does not appear that you've used the Visual Studio licensing model for dotConnect Universal.

Issue #2

For a quick test I created a stand alone application to run on the device. This application does not report that the license is missing but it fails for another reason. The message reported is shown below:

Can't find PInvoke DLL 'dbnetlib.dll'

Any help / advice you can give on resolving these issues is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Brian Wheatley

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: Mobile Edition not working

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 06 Sep 2013 15:21

brian71us wrote:Issue #1
If we understand you right, your plug-in is a class library. You add the license to it and then your plug-in is used by another application. Currently only executable assemblies can be licensed. We will investigate the possibility of adding the license to the Smart Device class library and post here about the results as soon as possible.
brian71us wrote:Issue #2
Please send us your standalone application.

brian71us

Post by brian71us » Wed 11 Sep 2013 18:12

Issue #2

After more testing and working with the manufacturer of the device this is not a problem with dotConnect Universal Mobile Edition. The dbnetlib.dll has to be deployed to the device from the Micrsoft SQL Server Compact Edition folder on the PC. Once that is done then this message disappears and I'm able to connect to the SQL Server from a stand alone application on the device.

Issue #1

That's correct - it is a plugin for someone else's EXE application which I do not have the source code to.

I've got other libraries that use the Visual Studio licensing mechanism. In their case I can create a stand alone application, add the components, run the project and save the values of the component.RuntimeLicense property. Once I have this I can manually set the license on startup using:

component.RuntimeLicense = "..hex string containing component license...";

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 13 Sep 2013 14:22

brian71us wrote:Issue #2
I'm able to connect to the SQL Server from a stand alone application on the device.
We are glad to hear that the issue is solved.
brian71us wrote:Issue #1
We are investigating the possibility of adding the license to the Smart Device class library that other application without the license can use and post here about the results as soon as possible.