"AsmNotLoaded" error when attempting to connect to database

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for universal data access
lomalley

"AsmNotLoaded" error when attempting to connect to database

Post by lomalley » Thu 14 Jan 2010 23:22

I created an installer for an application and included with it the devart dlls that are appropriate (devart.data.dll, devart.data.universal.dll, devart.data.universal.mysql.dll, devart.data.universal.oracle.dll). The installer works and the application now runs on many machines, except for one in particular - on this one machine I am having trouble connecting to the database (happens to be a mysql database), and getting the popup error "AsmNotLoaded" when attempting to connect, even when the installer and application were both run using the administrator account. I also included all of the necessary dlls in the same directory as the application executable, and still getting the same problem connecting to the database.
Since the application runs and connects to the database just fine on other machines, there must be something not configured correctly on the one machine that gives the error. I searched for the dlls in the registry editor, and see under their permissions properties that all users have read privileges to them. There are also no firewalls up that would prevent connecting to the database, nor is the connection string incorrect.
Are there other configurations I should check on this computer, or even in the installer?

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Fri 15 Jan 2010 15:16

Did you ever install dotConnect Universal to this machine? If this is the case, please try cleaning the \Program Files\Devart\dotConnect folder and remove all Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* files from your GAC and the Assembly system folder.

lomalley

Post by lomalley » Sat 16 Jan 2010 21:27

thanks for the response. No this is a deployment machine that did not have any of the development software on it.

lomalley

necessary windows updates?

Post by lomalley » Sun 17 Jan 2010 16:12

Also - are there any recent windows xp updates or service packs in particular that are necessary to run my application on the deployment machine? The machine is isolated and is likely not up to date. Due to the machine's environment, installing every update at once may not be possible. If I knew the particular update, this would be very helpful.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Mon 18 Jan 2010 11:29

The problem shouldn't be connected with the lack of system updates.

Please try the latest version of dotConnect Universal, it is available here:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/univer ... nload.html

Please specify which edition of dotConnect Universal you are using.

If you are using the Professional edition, please check that the Devart.Data.Universal.MySql.dll assembly in the installation of your application is of the Professional edition as well. To do this, please check the size of the assembly: it has to be about 900 kB, in contrast to the one of the Standard edition, which is about 150 kB.

Also, please send us the dotConnect Universal assemblies installed on the problem machine so that we are able to investigate the issue in details.

cooper13

status on problem

Post by cooper13 » Thu 21 Jan 2010 22:17

We've investigated a number of your suggestions and are still stuck.

We had been using the 3.0.1 Professional version with the MySQL assembly having an 869k file size. We've completely uninstalled then reinstalled with 3.0.5 and have the same issue.

We tried using the minimal install instead of our installer putting the needed assemblies into the GAC, also with no luck.

We can use an ODBC connection to the same database (localhost, root, password, dbname) that we're trying to use the direct MySQL connection via UniDirect. This application works fine on most machines, but on our client's (and our testbed) more locked down machines, it fails with the AsmNotLoaded message in the exception.

I've checked and the assemblies are present in C:\Windows\assembly. The DbProviderFactories section of machine.config does contain the dotConnect Universal entry. However, the machine.config file does *not* contain a section at the end. Could this be the problem?

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Fri 22 Jan 2010 14:31

Please send us the Devart assemblies used in your application installation package. If it is possible to send them, the result assemblies of your application would be even more helpful, as we will be able to check the exact references used.

As for minimal installation, please check that the version of dotConnect Universal used in your application matches the one installed on the target machine.

Please specify also the type of your application. Note that changes in machine.config are not necessary if your project is supposed to be the only application using dotConnect Universal. These changes are necessary if dotConnect Universal is about to be used by some external programs, e.g., if you are developing a web service.

krauseolli

Urgent: I have the same problem

Post by krauseolli » Thu 28 Jan 2010 08:08

I have exactly the same problem. Some machines work some don't. You can download a msi-package with all assemblies here:

http://www.specht2.de/pedat5/pedat5_demo.exe

I urgently need help here. My customer is getting unfriendly ;-)

Thanks & Regards, Oliver

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 28 Jan 2010 12:22

I've reproduced the issue on an empty virtual machine. It seems to be connected with really outdated system.data.dll. Installing .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 should fix the problem.

We are investigating the possibility of removing dependence on SP 1.

lomalley

Post by lomalley » Sun 31 Jan 2010 06:22

Thank you. Installing the SP1 fixed it.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 18 Feb 2010 13:46

We have removed the dependence on Service Pack 1.

Please try the new 3.10.8 Beta build of dotConnect Universal. It can be downloaded from
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/univer ... nload.html
(trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with active subscription only). For more information, please refer to
http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17149