C# Structural Code Comparison and Expression-Bodied Members

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
dczbvd

C# Structural Code Comparison and Expression-Bodied Members

Post by dczbvd » Fri 22 Dec 2017 08:06

Hi all,

We're using Code Compare for its Structural Code Comparison feature.
We're coding in C# in VS 2015.
The structural code comparison stops analysing at the first expression-bodied members it finds. I guess this is an unhandled way to code.

Here is an example comparison :
We can see in this screenshot that every change is present in Difference Explorer.

If we move the "NewProp" block after the Prop that uses expression-bodied syntax, we can see now that the change is correctly seen as added by Code Compare but does not appear in Difference Explorer anymore...

Do someone else have the problem ?
Do you know a fix for this ? (except by stopping to use expression-bodied members as we have a lot of these in many of our files)

Thank you,

David.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Re: C# Structural Code Comparison and Expression-Bodied Members

Post by mstislavs » Mon 25 Dec 2017 15:34

Hi David,

Thank you for reporting the issue and detailed description. We have reproduced the bug and will investigate it. We will contact you as soon as the bug is localized.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

dczbvd

Post by dczbvd » Mon 15 Jan 2018 15:38

Hi,

Is there any news about this issue ?

Thanks.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Wed 17 Jan 2018 14:45

We will investigate this bug more deeply next week. We will contact you as soon as the problem is located.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

dczbvd

Post by dczbvd » Mon 05 Feb 2018 14:25

Hi,

Is there any news about this ?
It begins to become a big issue as my team uses a lot of expression-bodied members so the structural code comparison becomes totally unusable...

Thank you,

David Cz.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Thu 08 Feb 2018 13:44

Hi David,

I apologize for the late answer. I had a lot of tasks on another project (Review Assistant) and didn't have enough time for investigating. Today I have investigated the problem and found the bug in the CSharp Parser in the third-party component. I have forwarded this problem to my team leader and as soon as I get an answer I will contact you (probably tomorrow).

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

Topaazy

Post by Topaazy » Fri 09 Feb 2018 16:36

Hey,@dczbvd.
Have exactly the same problem as yours.I followed the topic, but I did not wait for an answer.
I decided to register and confirm it.
Now we are two. We are waiting.
Regards,Topazy.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Tue 13 Feb 2018 14:24

Thank you for the waiting. Product manager added C# 6 support to our backlog. This feature will be available in one of the next versions.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

dczbvd

Post by dczbvd » Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:55

Dear Mstislavs,

Thank you for your investigation.
You say C# 6 support will be available in one of the next versions, do you have an idea of the release planning ?
As I said it is an important issue making this feature unusable. We've renewed our subscriptions 2 months ago and haven't seen any update since so I hope that "one of the next release" won't be in a too far future...

Thank you.

PS : There seem to be a problem with your "New reply notification" in the forum, I didn't receive notification of your post, that explains my late answer...

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Wed 28 Feb 2018 13:13

Hi,
You say C# 6 support will be available in one of the next versions, do you have an idea of the release planning ?
Unfortunately, I cannot provide the exact date of release of the next version. Because now we are working on the next version of Review Assistant and the release of Code Compare is not planned in the nearest future.
PS : There seem to be a problem with your "New reply notification" in the forum, I didn't receive notification of your post, that explains my late answer...
Thank you for reporting the problem. I have forwarded this problem to the website development team.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

dczbvd

Post by dczbvd » Thu 22 Mar 2018 15:12

Hi,

As C# 7.1 is available since august 2017, please also include C# 7 support in your next update otherwise it will become useless even with the update...

Do you have any news about a release date ? (Why do we have to pay for yearly subscriptions if you don't make new releases of the soft, even when there is requested features / bugfixes ?)

Thank you,

David Cz.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Fri 23 Mar 2018 16:09

dczbvd wrote: Thu 22 Mar 2018 15:12 Do you have any news about a release date ?
Hi David,

Today we have published the internal release of Review Assistant. After the Review Assistant release, we plan to make the release of Code Compare. I think we will start working on the new version of Code Compare at the end of April - beginning of May. In any case, I will contact you when we start developing the new version.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Thu 03 May 2018 04:20

Hi David,

He have started development of the new version of Code Compare. We plan to improve integration with VS (code editors) and support C# 6.0/7.0

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

dczbvd

Post by dczbvd » Fri 20 Jul 2018 09:34

Hi,

What are the news about this ? Development has started but when is the release planned ?
I submitted this issue 7 months ago...
As I said, it's a big issue making structural code comparison totally unusable...
You said it's because C# 6 is not yet supported... How can this be possible as C# 6 was released 3 years ago ?
Will C# 7.3 (released in may 2018) be supported only from may 2021 ?

Thank you,

David Cz.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Tue 24 Jul 2018 08:21

Hi David,

At this moment we have supported C# 6 and 7 for Code Compare and our QA will test this feature. I'll contact with you when I know the release date.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com