Connection to a remote DB fails

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
MEngelbyDev

Connection to a remote DB fails

Post by MEngelbyDev » Mon 15 Jan 2018 21:09

Ever since I've updated to the latest version 5.5.327 professional, I cannot connect to a remote DB. I've had this problem sporadically when upgrading to previous versions, but I've always managed to figure out a way to make it work. This time, however, I am at a loss at what further can be done.

The server that I am trying to connect to is SQL server 2008 R2, with a custom port. If the same connection string is used in Microsoft SSMS tool, the connection works. I've tried deleting the connections in dbForge, rebooting the computer many different times, before and after deleting the connections, deleting all the connections and recreating the connections with different names. The connection fails each and every time with this message:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The wait operation timed out.)
However, if I connect to a local DB instance, the connection works.

Please advise on what I am doing wrong. Currently I am using SSMS to complete my work, but I really miss the automated tools within dbForge.

Thank you.

alexa

Re: Connection to a remote DB fails

Post by alexa » Tue 16 Jan 2018 15:09

We will investigate this issue and will answer you as soon as possible.

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 16 Jan 2018 15:43

Will it be possible to provide us an access to some test server so we can reproduce the issue from our side?

You can send a reply straight to our support system at alexaATdevartDOTcom and supportATdevartDOTcom .

MEngelbyDev

Post by MEngelbyDev » Tue 16 Jan 2018 17:16

Email sent to the noted addresses.

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 17 Jan 2018 10:57

Thank you for the reply.

We have received the e-mail and will answer you as soon as any result is achieved on this.

MEngelbyDev

Post by MEngelbyDev » Wed 17 Jan 2018 17:32

I am now able to connect to a remote DB server with a custom IP port.

In the interest of anybody else that is having this issue, what I ended up doing was uninstalling dbForge Studio completely (including registry keys and all other configuration files) then re-installing the latest version of the product to a new location on the hard drive. Then I was able to define a connection to the remote DB server and use that successfully.

It is unknown if the complete uninstall fixed things or if the installation to a completely new location did it. As an application programmer with decades of experience I suspect that some old version configuration in dbForge caused the new connection definition to fail, but I cannot know that for sure. The interdependencies are way too complex for me to 'armchair' it. I know firsthand how frustrating these intermittent issues can be.

I am appreciative of support getting back to me quickly with instructions of actions to take going forward. Now I can do my work with smarter tools. Thank you.

-Mike

alexa

Post by alexa » Thu 18 Jan 2018 18:09

Thank you for updating us on this issue.