No UI feedback from Send Trace in SQL Complete

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
Thenrich

No UI feedback from Send Trace in SQL Complete

Post by Thenrich » Mon 13 Nov 2017 20:34

How does Send Tract work in SQL Complete. I start the Trace and End it and Send Trace option it disabled. It's enabled after a start so I select Send Trace and nothing happens at all. I am expecting a popup asking me for my email address. Otherwise how is Devart getting back to me. No UI feedback that the sending was successful.
Also where's the trace file located? The help doesn't mention anything about it. Actually the help section is not much of help other than reiterating the menu options.

Deniss

Re: No UI feedback from Send Trace in SQL Complete

Post by Deniss » Tue 21 Nov 2017 11:32

To send a log file, you should have a preset default mail client. All log files are stored in %AppData%

Thenrich

Post by Thenrich » Tue 21 Nov 2017 18:12

What happens when I select Send trace log to Devart? There's zero UI feedback as if this option is completely broken, If I am using Outlook, is Outlook going to show up? Is it automatically going to attach the log file. Please be more descriptive.

Deniss

Post by Deniss » Wed 22 Nov 2017 10:49

After clicking Start Trace, a file of the Ssms_YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS.log в %AppData% type is generated. After clicking Send Trace Log to Devart, the default mail client is opened, an outbox mail to [email protected] with the "Error trace log" subject is created, and the Ssms_logs.zip archive that is automatically attached to this mail is generated.

Thenrich

Post by Thenrich » Wed 22 Nov 2017 16:59

The only log file I see is activation.log and it's an old file. Outlook doesn't come up at all. I tried the send trace while Outlook is running and when it's not. There's nothing happening in Outlook.

Also if I stop loggin, the send option gets disabled. That's counterintuitive, Intuitively, I am supposed to stop the logging so I can send the file. Does the Send trace stop logging.

The whole send trace is broken. There's zero indication that it's working.
The ironic part is that because it's not working, I can't send a trace because the send trace is not working.

Thenrich

Post by Thenrich » Wed 22 Nov 2017 17:00

Do you get trace files from other customers through this functionality?

Deniss

Post by Deniss » Fri 24 Nov 2017 11:28

Yes, we receive reports from users, but we have never faced the problem of sending reports before.
We would like to point out once more that after the start of logging, the log file is located right in the AppData root folder:
%AppData%\Ssms_YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS.log
As for the vanishing Send Trace log to Devart button, we created a request and this error will be fixed in one of the next builds.
Also, we would like to notify you that a new build of SQL Complete v.5.7.210 has been released. We recommend you updating your version at https://www.devart.com/dbforge/sql/sqlc ... nload.html