dbforge Studio for Sql Server becomes unresponsive

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
evan.morgoch

Re: dbforge Studio for Sql Server becomes unresponsive

Post by evan.morgoch » Wed 12 Jul 2017 17:46

I'm sorry Alexa, but because it's a random issue that's hard to reproduce, I've haven't been able to work often with the setup you wish to have (2 instances open, one with the start up option set to "Show empty", the other not). However, I was just working today with a single instance open, with the show empty option set as the startup option, and encountered the same issue.

Please let me know how you'd like me to proceed/continue testing.

user_

Post by user_ » Thu 20 Jul 2017 16:15

hello

I don't want to be rude, but it's time for you to solve the problem.
Some people have formulated it right here - there is no exact trigger.

Please focus on the interaction with the operating system. The SQL statements are certainly not a trigger.

I am also willing to test - please provide information.

thx

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 24 Jul 2017 09:13

We are very sorry to hear you are still experiencing the issue.

As a temporary workaround, you could try the following:
1. Select 'Tools -> Options...' from the main menu. The 'Options' window opens.
2. Navigate to the 'Environment -> General' branch.
3. Unselect the 'Show splash screen on startup' option.

evan.morgoch

Post by evan.morgoch » Tue 25 Jul 2017 17:31

Hi Alexa,
I've had that option turned off in my environment for a couple weeks now. Anecdotally, it feels like I'm experiencing the issue a little less, but it is still quite frequent, where in I'll have my window lock up a couple times a day.

alexa

Post by alexa » Thu 27 Jul 2017 09:33

Thank you for the reply.

Could you please let us know what functionality causes the issue? What functionality of dbForge was active when it happened?

evan.morgoch

Post by evan.morgoch » Fri 28 Jul 2017 16:38

Pretty basic for me. I just have a series of T-SQL windows open, with active connections to either one or 2 databases. Most queries will be SELECT statements, and will have had some data loaded.

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 31 Jul 2017 12:03

Please try creating a *.reg file with the content below and, then, executing it with administrator permission:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Devart\dbForge Studio for SQL Server\5.4.275.0]
"EnableSystemEventsThreadAffinityCompatibility"=dword:00000001
Please let us know if it helps.

evan.morgoch

Post by evan.morgoch » Thu 03 Aug 2017 17:45

Hi Alexa, I didn't get a chance to try the registry key you metioned. However, with the 5.5 release, is that key still valid, or should it be changed (possible with the version number updated)? Or does the 5.5 version have any bug fixes in it to address this issue?

alexa

Post by alexa » Fri 04 Aug 2017 15:58

That was a workaround for the older version. With the new version, there is no need to make the registry change.

robains

Post by robains » Tue 08 Aug 2017 16:59

Unfortunately I'm having the same issue with v5.5.196 so apparently this has not been fixed.

What will happen is the UI just becomes unresponsive, for example the Execute button is grayed out while I'm in a query builder view.

Even more strange behavior is that sometimes the Execute button will be available and when I click execute it just takes me to the "Text" view and not the Data view. No errors being reported. Once this happens the UI becomes unresponsive again.

The ONLY work around is to exit dbForge and restart dbForge, then everything works. But is clearly a coding problem with v5.5.196 or else the "Work around" I have wouldn't work if it was related to my environment (which is Windows 10 Pro 1703).

I'm about to uninstall v5.5.196 and go back to v5.4.275 which has issues also, but nothing as serious as this problem.

Rob.

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 09 Aug 2017 06:14

This appears to be a different issue that we are going to fix in the next product build.

robains

Post by robains » Wed 09 Aug 2017 23:40

Ok, thank you Alexa.

Cheers, Rob.

mporemba

Post by mporemba » Thu 10 Aug 2017 11:42

An additional info about 5.4.275 I just found out: After the ui was frozen and I closed it using the taskbar saying "Close Window". Looking at the task manager I saw that it is still running in the background.

alexa

Post by alexa » Thu 10 Aug 2017 15:21

An additional info about 5.4.275 I just found out: After the ui was frozen and I closed it using the taskbar saying "Close Window". Looking at the task manager I saw that it is still running in the background.
Could you please describe the actions you perform in dbForge before closing it? Does it happen often?

mporemba

Post by mporemba » Tue 15 Aug 2017 07:59

As I have written already nothing special. After I executed some select and/or update statements I worked with other application and I locked my work station.

While the splash screen and the update check are deactivated and it started with an empty environment the Studio did not freeze. After I activated all three parts it appeared again.