BUG: No root level Security folder? Unable to change user passwords?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
robains

BUG: No root level Security folder? Unable to change user passwords?

Post by robains » Mon 12 Jun 2017 18:09

There appears to be a couple of issues here:

1. Comparing to Microsoft's SSMS there is NO "Security" folder at the root level for the connected SQL Server. This makes it impossible to manage "users" except at specific database levels.

2. When attempting to change (Edit User) at the Database level, make some changes and hit "Save", I get "You can only create a user with a password in a contained database". It appears that dbForge losses track of my currently selected Database, OR this issue might related to above #1 as it seems to not see or know about the Server root level security for users.

3. No ability to create a "New Login" (as one can using SSMS) at the root level (see above #1).

Unless I missing something obvious, it looks like dbForge can't be used to manage users except for very minor existing user changes.

I love dbForge, it has some other great features, but the purpose of moving to dbForge was to be able to completely move away from SSMS, but it seems I'm still in need of SSMS.

Cheers, Rob.

alexa

Re: BUG: No root level Security folder? Unable to change user passwords?

Post by alexa » Wed 14 Jun 2017 15:33

1. Comparing to Microsoft's SSMS there is NO "Security" folder at the root level for the connected SQL Server. This makes it impossible to manage "users" except at specific database levels.
3. No ability to create a "New Login" (as one can using SSMS) at the root level (see above #1).
This can be done with Security Manager that can be invoked by selecting 'Database -> Security Manager' from the main menu.
2. When attempting to change (Edit User) at the Database level, make some changes and hit "Save", I get "You can only create a user with a password in a contained database". It appears that dbForge losses track of my currently selected Database, OR this issue might related to above #1 as it seems to not see or know about the Server root level security for users.
Adding and editing a user with a password is possible only if there is set the parameter CONTAINMENT = PARTIAL in the database https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t- ... ansact-sql