dbForge Studio keeps asking for license key every day

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
wmolina

dbForge Studio keeps asking for license key every day

Post by wmolina » Tue 25 Apr 2017 12:23

My company bought our team a license for dbForge Studio Standard edition, under our director's name. I had previously been using the trial, so naturally my trial has expired. I activated it fine using my license key, but every day DbForge "forgets" that I activated the product and every day I open it (or sometimes if it's still open and I put my computer to sleep!) I get a blocking popup saying Trial Period Expired and prompting me to activate again. I enter the code again and it stays activated for another day, then the process repeats. If I close the app and re-open it, it stays activated. It just seems to be every day it asks me to enter the key again. It doesn't really affect anything, just is annoying to do so every day.

Any idea how to fix this?

alexa

Re: dbForge Studio keeps asking for license key every day

Post by alexa » Tue 25 Apr 2017 14:14

This issue will be fixed in the next product build.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

wmolina

Post by wmolina » Tue 25 Apr 2017 14:18

Not a problem, thank you for the quick reply!

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 10 May 2017 07:58

Could you please perform the following:
1. Run dbForge Studio for SQL Server and activate it (if it's asking for activation).
2. Select 'Help -> About...' from the main menu of dbForge Studio for SQL Server.
3. Click the 'View System Info' button and check the HardwareID.
4. Restart the PC.
5. Run dbForge Studio for SQL Server.
6. If it's asking for activation, please check if the *.lic file exists in the following folder:

Code: Select all

%SystemDrive%\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Devart\Licenses\
7. Perform activation once again.
8. Perform the steps 1-3 and check if the HardwareID has changed.

kbtechinfo

Post by kbtechinfo » Fri 07 Jul 2017 17:36

I am having this same issue. I can't reboot this server everytime I need to. It is a Windows Term server on a VM. Is there an easier way without having to knock off all my users for a reboot?

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 10 Jul 2017 10:45

The problem, in fact, happens when leaving dbForge on overnight. To avoid this, you have to close dbForge before leaving the PC on overnight. Otherwise, the next day the warning will say that the license has expired and you will need to reactivate it.

hobiedave

Post by hobiedave » Mon 17 Jul 2017 15:23

I have this problem as well and I do not believe that closing the software nightly is a proper solution, but even when I do, it prompts me to register the next time I run it. This has been a long term issue that I would expect to be fixed by now. Is there a fix coming?

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 18 Jul 2017 09:34

We have sent a custom build with the fix to you by e-mail.

kbtechinfo

Post by kbtechinfo » Tue 18 Jul 2017 15:38

alexa wrote:We have sent a custom build with the fix to you by e-mail.
May I please have this custom build fix also? I am so weary of having to exit out of SQL each morning and reactivate. Your help would be most appreciated.

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 19 Jul 2017 08:23

We have replied to you by e-mail.

kbtechinfo

Post by kbtechinfo » Wed 02 Aug 2017 14:22

But, we have registered. I sent you a reply by email with our license information.

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 02 Aug 2017 15:12

The issue persists only in dbForge Studio for SQL Server. From our records, it follows that you have a license only for another our product dbForge SQL Complete, the latest build 5.6.169 of which has no such a problem.

alexa

Post by alexa » Fri 04 Aug 2017 13:57

We would like to let you know that we have released dbForge Studio for SQL Server v5.5 where the activation issue is fixed https://www.devart.com/dbforge/sql/studio/download.html

Thank you for your help in improving dbForge Studio for SQL Server.

kbtechinfo

Post by kbtechinfo » Mon 11 Sep 2017 16:39

We have downloaded the latest version and still get the activate message every single day. Now it has reached it's limit. I am pretty email and forum frustrated with email customer support too. No phone calls, seriously? Wow!

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 12 Sep 2017 12:31

Could you please let us know whether this is a laptop (with docking station), desktop PC or workstation?

Also, you can perform the following:
1. Run SSMS and activate dbForge SQL Complete.
2. Navigate to the folder below and backup the file dsc_std_5_7.lic:

SystemDrive\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Devart\Licenses\
3. Restart the PC, run SSMS and select 'SQL Complete -> Help -> About...' from the main menu.
4. If the product appears to be not activated, please send us the files dsc_std_5_7.lic, dsc_std_5_7_invalid.lic from the following folder:

SystemDrive\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Devart\Licenses\
You can send a reply straight to our support system at alexaATdevartDOTcom and supportATdevartDOTcom .