dbforge Studio for Sql Server becomes unresponsive

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
evan.morgoch

dbforge Studio for Sql Server becomes unresponsive

Post by evan.morgoch » Wed 14 Jun 2017 15:55

I recently purchased dbForge Studio for SQL Server Enterprise. I'm enjoying working with it, and am finding great use of it's various tools.

That said, I am frequently finding that as I switch between it and other applications I have open, it frequently enters a state where it becomes unresponsive. I end up having to close the windows from the task bar and then re-start the application to get it to be usable again.

I'm currently running the latest build of Windows 10 (1703, build 15063.296), with .NET up to date. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do to resolve this? Or any options/logs I can provide to help you guys troubleshoot it?

alexa

Re: dbforge Studio for Sql Server becomes unresponsive

Post by alexa » Thu 15 Jun 2017 16:56

Could you please provide us some more details on this issue by answering the following questions:
1. Could you please describe the steps to reproduce it step by step?
2. In what state did you leave the application? Did you wrap it to the taskbar?
3. Is dbForge already frozen when when you attempt to restore it from the taskbar?
4. What tasks were you running at that time?
5. What applications were running in the system at that time?

evan.morgoch

Post by evan.morgoch » Fri 16 Jun 2017 18:08

Just occurred again, so I'll do my best to answer your questions:
1) Unfortunately not, as it seems random, and I can't re-create the issue on demand.
2) Program was open with 3 different SQL tabs open. I do believe that I had minimized it to the taskbar
3) Yes. Attempting to re-open it gives me a standard windows error "chime", and the window does not restore.
4) Not sure what you mean by tasks
5) Combination of programs: Google Chrome, RDP, TOAD, Windows Snipping Tool, Outlook, Excel, Skype 4 Business, Windows Explorer

I had also locked my system and gone to lunch between when I last interacted with dbForge, and when I tried to use it again.

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 19 Jun 2017 11:21

Thank you for the reply.

We will investigate this issue and will answer you as soon as possible.

evan.morgoch

Post by evan.morgoch » Tue 20 Jun 2017 16:00

Thanks Alexa,
Same thing just happened to me. Had 5 or 6 SQL tabs open with various code snippets. I had left the program alone for over an hour. Probably had locked and unlocked my system a couple times during this, as well as using other programs. Attempted to come back into the program, and it was unresponsive. No windows chimes however this time. Was able to close the program using the taskbar close option, but I lost all my open tabs.

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide. I'm liking the program, just wish it ran a little better for me.

mporemba

Post by mporemba » Wed 28 Jun 2017 11:37

I have the same issues which began with the upgrade to version 5.4. Currently I am using 5.4.275.

Here are my answers:
1. The last steps were most of the times that I selected some data using the SQL tab.
2. Normally I just switched to another application using alt+tab or clicking on another program in the taskbar.
3. Yes.
4. I did not activate or start any task.
5. Most times the following application are "running": Outlook, Excel, Word 2016, Firefox, IE, Rambox, Greenshot and Keepass.

If you need any further information, do not hesitate to ask.

sbomholt

Post by sbomholt » Thu 29 Jun 2017 10:32

I also have this issue. Same environment und nearly the same applications parallel. It happens often after activated screen saver.

Closing the app via taskbar is possible and all tab windows were saved. It feels like an invisible popup dialog over the app.

Thanks Stephan

mporemba

Post by mporemba » Fri 30 Jun 2017 08:27

Closing the app via taskbar is possible and all tab windows were saved. It feels like an invisible popup dialog over the app.
I have the same behaviour. I am able to close the application and everything is saved.

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Fri 30 Jun 2017 08:58

Hello,

Thanks for the posts.

We need a bit more information:
1) could you send some examples of the queries you are working with
2) did you run-up any queries for a execution before computer lock or before switching to another application

Best Regards.

mporemba

Post by mporemba » Fri 30 Jun 2017 11:34

Hi .jp,
as it appeared just again, I can answer your questions.
There are 4 SQL Sheets open with different simple select statements like select * from table, which is a simple one. The select statement of the open sheet was not executed. There were no queries running in the background.
This time I locked my notebook (while Studio Express was already in the background not minimized) and after lunch it is frozen and cannot be activated any more. Only Close Window is possible which is performed by Studio Express. After a new start all sheets are gone.

evan.morgoch

Post by evan.morgoch » Fri 30 Jun 2017 13:54

Glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this. :D
Just some follow ups from my side.
While the end result is the same (program unresponsive), I am seeing slightly different behavior at times. In particular, there are some occasions when my open tabs restore, and in others none of them are restored. As well, most of the time I can close the program from the task bar. However, usually if I try to interact with it in some way (ie. try to use the restore and/or maximize functions), the dbforge will lock up "harder", and I'm forced to use task manager to kill it. I've also found that when it reaches this state, dbforge becomes an "always on top" app, and I can't interact with any other program windows that are underneath it until I close it.

As for query types that I'm working with, for the most part they are simple selects, possibly with a join condition or two, and maybe some sum/groupings. I've had it occur with only a couple tabs open, or with 10 tabs. I can't recall any particular instance in which I've let queries run in the background before trying to restore, but I can guarantee that the issue has occurred when there are no background queries running (it just happened to me again).

As for options set in dbforge (in case it helps), I can't recall every having customized my environment, so whatever setting are used out of the box are probably what's set. I can send an export of my environment settings if it helps.

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 03 Jul 2017 12:09

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 04 Jul 2017 09:19

Could you please start dbForge and work with it as you normally do? Then, please start another instance of dbForge and perform the following:
1. Select 'Tools -> Options...' from the main menu. The 'Options' window opens.
2. Navigate to the 'Environment -> General' branch.
3. Select 'Show Empty Environment' in the 'At startup' drop-down menu.
4. Click 'OK'.
5. Restart this instance of dbForge.
6. Switch to the first instance of dbForge and reproduce the problem.
7. Check and let us know if the second instance of dbForge is also locked up at that time.

mporemba

Post by mporemba » Wed 12 Jul 2017 08:26

I'm sorry, but the first instance is working normally.

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 12 Jul 2017 13:28

Thank you for the reply.