Enity Developer and dotConnect for postgresql

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
OutOfTouch6947

Enity Developer and dotConnect for postgresql

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Fri 20 Jan 2017 20:56

I have an application that I built with Entity Developer that is using Linq to SQL template and Sql Server as the backend.
I am wondering how I can change it to use postgresql, using dotConnect for postgresql?
If I open my lqml file with entity developer and edit the connection, I don't see any option to use dotConnect for postgresql as the provider.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Enity Developer and dotConnect for postgresql

Post by Shalex » Mon 23 Jan 2017 13:00

OutOfTouch6947 wrote:I am wondering how I can change it to use postgresql, using dotConnect for postgresql?
Please install dotConnect for PostgreSQL Professional.

JIC: the list of supported providers is available at https://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/ ... ility.html.

OutOfTouch6947

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 16:04

I have dotConnect for PostgreSQL installed, please read my question again.

"If I open my .lqml file with Entity Developer and edit the connection properties, I don't see any option to use dotConnect for PostgreSQL as the provider."

What do I need to do to change the provider to be using dotconnect for PostgreSQL?

OutOfTouch6947

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 20:39

Can someone please answer my question on how to change the provider my .lqml model is using when I am inside of Entity Developer? I don't any options other than MS SQL Server versions. I have dotConnect for PostgreSQL installed.

My project was using the Linq To SQL Template, do I need to change it to use Linq Connect Template in order to use postgreSQL?

Is there a way to change the Linq to SQL template to LinqConnect with out having to re create my entire model?

OutOfTouch6947

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 22:09

Ok I think the issue is I need to change the template I am using in the project from Linq To SQL to LinqConnect so that I can use postgreSQL. Will I be able to copy tables from the old template to the new template?

OutOfTouch6947

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 23:50

There doesn't seem to be a a way to copy and paste, so I am stuck recreating the model again for the the LinqConnect template.

Is there a way to tell the model to use quotes on object names to be case sensitive?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 24 Jan 2017 13:37

OutOfTouch6947 wrote:There doesn't seem to be a a way to copy and paste,
That is correct: "LINQ to SQL Model" and "LinqConnect Model" use different object models.
OutOfTouch6947 wrote:so I am stuck recreating the model again for the the LinqConnect template.
Try the following approach: run Update To Database Wizard in your "LINQ to SQL Model" (SQL Server) to create the database objects, then run Create Model Wizard for "LinqConnect Model" (SQL Server) and add the existing database objects, now open Database Explorer and change connection string to use dotConnect for PostgreSQL. Right click diagram surface > Regenerate Storage and Mapping to get a valid "LinqConnect Model" (PostgreSQL).
OutOfTouch6947 wrote:Is there a way to tell the model to use quotes on object names to be case sensitive?
If you are using a Database First approach, Entity Developer will quote Source values with non-default (upper) case automatically.