PrePurchase Question

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding LinqConnect – Devart's LINQ to SQL compatible ORM
cflowers

PrePurchase Question

Post by cflowers » Wed 08 Mar 2017 15:54

Hi, I am thinking about purchasing both dotConnect for SQLite and LinqConnect. I already own dotConnect for MySQL, DBForge Studio for MSSQL, and DBForge Studio for MySQL.

Is there a bundle somewhere that I can purchase? I like your tools, but it would simply be easier to buy them all instead of having to figure out which ones to do what a and then sort through the various bogus editions.

For example, the site says LinqConnect includes a Express edition of dotConnect for SQLite. When I go to the dotConnect SQLite page, it never references an express edition anywhere. There is a "STANDARD" version and a "PROFESSIONAL" version, but no reference to any kind of "EXPRESS" version. Does the express version include everything the professional version includes?? Do I still need to buy dotConnect for SQLite?? Where can I compare the features of dotConnect for SQLite EXPRESS so I can determine if the professional version is still going to be needed?

I have the same confusion with your dotConnect Universal product. In my eyes, and the English dictionary defines the word Universal as meaning: "denoting a proposition in which something is asserted of all of a class." which would mean that your Universal version is ALL inclusive of the other versions. After speaking with your support staff, I actually learned that it is the opposite. The universal version is actually the lesser version. Each dotConnect product for individual technologies contains more features than the ?Universal option which should include all.

Overall, I think there is some confusion here both with a potential language barrier that seems to be occurring and an entire myriad of various names given to different versions of each piece of software. I agree with having different versions, but I am so confused right now, I don't even know what to buy. As a customer that is a bad thing. I LOVE YOUR PRODUCTS!!!

Please help me. Please send me a link to the "EXPRESS" version of SQLite so I can see what it includes. Then please compare the PROFESSIONAL version so I can see the differences. Then also, if you can further compare your UNIVERSAL dotConnect so I can see how all 3 compare to each other.

At bare minimum know that my goal is to get a complete version of dotConnect for SQLite and to get a version of LinqConnect.

Also, as for LinqConnect, does it allow for changing connection strings on the fly? Entity Framework allows this but it is very difficult and cumbersome. This is the problem I am trying to resolve by purchasing LINQConnect. I would like to be able to connect to various databases with the same schema at runtime by simply changing a connection string.

Thanks!
Curtis

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: PrePurchase Question

Post by Shalex » Thu 09 Mar 2017 17:36

cflowers wrote:the site says LinqConnect includes a Express edition of dotConnect for SQLite. When I go to the dotConnect SQLite page, it never references an express edition anywhere.
"Express" means "Standard". We will correct names confusion at https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/sqlite/editions.html.
cflowers wrote:I have the same confusion with your dotConnect Universal product. [...] Each dotConnect product for individual technologies contains more features than the ?Universal option which should include all.
dotConnect Universal includes only common features of all supported providers. No ORM frameworks are supported by dotConnect Universal.
cflowers wrote:At bare minimum know that my goal is to get a complete version of dotConnect for SQLite and to get a version of LinqConnect.
dotConnect for SQLite Professional includes the LinqConnect support (for SQLite only) and other features: https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/sqlite/editions.html.
LinqConnect Professional supports several database servers (SQL Server / Oracle / MySQL / PostgreSQL / SQLite): https://www.devart.com/linqconnect/editions.html.
cflowers wrote:Also, as for LinqConnect, does it allow for changing connection strings on the fly? Entity Framework allows this but it is very difficult and cumbersome. This is the problem I am trying to resolve by purchasing LINQConnect. I would like to be able to connect to various databases with the same schema at runtime by simply changing a connection string.
You can do that. Please refer to viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24588#p83144.