WinRT and Azure

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding LinqConnect – Devart's LINQ to SQL compatible ORM
[email protected]

WinRT and Azure

Post by [email protected] » Mon 14 Oct 2013 14:27

Hello,
does LinqConnect allows connections to SQL Azure? Specifically from WinRT?

Cheers,

Alberto

MariiaI
Devart Team

Re: WinRT and Azure

Post by MariiaI » Tue 15 Oct 2013 12:57

LinqConnect for Metro doesn't allow connections to SQL Azure due to the fact LinqConnect relies on the standard System.Data.SqlClient provider to connect to SQL Server and SQL Azure. As this provider is not available for Metro-style applications, LinqConnect for Metro doesn't support it.
However, we are performing tests with LinqConnect Professional and SQL Azure and we are able to connect and perform the database operations.
Please specify the issues you are encountering with this in more details.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue 15 Oct 2013 17:30

Maria,
thank you for your prompt response.
I am not having any issues at the moment. I was just exploring options as the WinRT app I am developing is supposed to run in connected and offline mode. Offline is not a problem as I can use SQLite. Online I am debating if I want to implement SQL Azure and write my own WCF service, or use PostgreSQL on a hosted VM. What about Amazon RDS? If I go with Amazon they have Oracle databases. I know LinqConnect for Metro supports Oracle. Would it support a connection to the Amazon hosted Oracle? What question should I ask Amazon if I decide to go that route? Being able to implement a LinqConnect-only solution would be beneficial as I could use one model for both back-ends.
Any insight, or suggestion is greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Alberto

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Wed 16 Oct 2013 13:03

We have tested LinqConnect for Metro with Oracle on Amazon RDS. The connection and database operations are performed successfully.
JIC: for correct work it is necessary to select the "Internet (Client & Server)" and "Private Networks (Client & Server)" check boxes on the Capabilities tab in the Package.appxmanifest file of your application.
If you will have any further questions with this scenario, feel free to contact us.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Fri 18 Oct 2013 04:49

Excellent thank you!

I have to say that purchasing your product was money well spent!!

Cheers,

Alberto