Compare LinqConnect with LightSpeed of Mindscape

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding LinqConnect – Devart's LINQ to SQL compatible ORM
Mystcreater

Compare LinqConnect with LightSpeed of Mindscape

Post by Mystcreater » Wed 23 Feb 2011 03:22

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying an orm and there is a lot out there.

I want to know what LinqConnect have better than Mindscape LightSpeed, DataObject .Net or OpenAccess (Telerik).

I also have another question:
In many place of the page of the product LinqConnect, it's say that LinqConnect is close to Linq To SQL. All around the web, Linq To SQL is in the process to be replace by Entity Framework. Is for this reason your product will be out to date soon?

Thank you

Zero-G.

Post by Zero-G. » Wed 23 Feb 2011 10:46

Hey

I can't answer your question for 100%.
But you can choose with Devart's components, if you wish to develop Linq to (any ADO.NET based database) like:
Linq to MySQL
Linq to MSSQL
Linq to Oracle
Linq to Postgres...

So, Devart was the first around the web, which provided such a tool in a professional way. In the early days, there have been really big and basic problems.
But Now, this software has become a very well working component.
The problems, which are still in the software, are most very specific problems, which can be handled with little workarounds.
So, what I try to say is, that this software is prooved and works fast and without problems.
If the other components are working this professional way, I don't know. I have tried the DevExpress DataLayer, with mySQL. This was absolutly not working for professional workers.

The question, Linq2... or Entity Framework. You can chosse both technologies with Devart's components. Both technologies are shipped with the installation.

Hope this helps a bit

Mystcreater

Post by Mystcreater » Wed 23 Feb 2011 12:33

Hi,

I read a lot on the web that Linq To SQL is about to die.

I don't know if LinqConnect use dlls from Linq To SQL but if this is the case, when Linq To SQL will die, LinqConnect will also die.

Can you assure me that when it say that LinqConnect is closely develop with Linq To SQL, this is not signify that LinqConnect use some dlls own by Microsoft itself.

I know that it could be a stupid question but I don't like Linq To SQL because a lot a reason but not because of the architecture.

Thank you.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Wed 23 Feb 2011 14:39

Mystcreater, we didn't perform a complete comparison between LinqConnect and other LINQ-to-SQL-type ORM solutions, but, as far as we know, LinqConnect has more advanced model designer (EntityDeveloper) and includes some features not available in other ORM solutions. On the other hand, we concentrate on the DBMSs most frequently used with .NET (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLite) and do not support, e.g., Firebird or VistaDB.

LinqConnect does use some of LINQ to SQL public classes (like mapping attributes), but its entire runtime was developed by Devart. For example, Devart.Data.Linq.DataContext does not inherit System.Data.Linq.DataContext. Thus, LinqConnect should not be affected if LINQ to SQL stops to be developed, unless LINQ to SQL assemblies are removed from the future .NET Framework releases.

Also, as far as we know, Microsoft didn't officially declare LINQ to SQL deprecated. We would be grateful if you direct us to such declarations.

Zero-G., thank you for the detailed feedback on LinqConnect.