how to bulk insert/update using linq C#

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding LinqConnect – Devart's LINQ to SQL compatible ORM

Is Linq a good solution when bulk inserting 100K 1000K records

Poll ended at Wed 02 Sep 2009 07:14

Sure
No votes
Never
50%
Yes but I would use something better
50%
No but the other are not any better
No votes

Total votes: 2

kobygg

how to bulk insert/update using linq C#

Post by kobygg » Mon 03 Aug 2009 07:14

Hi, I have recently developed a C# application using Linq. I am getting from an external database a list of profiles I need to process, some are new and some are already in the database, and need to be updated. What I do today is go over the profile list and check each profile if such exists I update otherwise I insert - this solution is working fine.

I am sure there is a way to use bulk insert/update something like UPDATE ON DUPLICATE, this way I can save time since the files I get are huge and bulk insert/update is known to have better performance. I would like to avoid the iteration I am now using.

insertall doesn't work for already stored rows, I need the combination of both update and insert

Here is my code, Your help is highly appreciated.

foreach (Profile tmpProfile in profiles)
{
try
{
var matchedProfile = (from c in db.ProfileEntities
where c.ProfileId == tmpProfile.Id
select c).SingleOrDefault();

if (matchedProfile == null)
{
//Insert
db.ProfileEntities.InsertOnSubmit(EntityMapper.ToEntity(tmpProfile));

}
else
{
//Update
EntityMapper.ToEntity(ref matchedProfile, tmpProfile);

}
}
catch (System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException sqlExec)
{

}
catch (Exception e)
{

}
}

db.SubmitChanges();

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 04 Aug 2009 11:07

If you want to use only LINQ to SQL, you should call the InsertAllOnSubmit method to attach the records to the context
and then the SubmitChanges to execute SQL commands.
Another option is to use the Loader component to insert the records to database and then run the
DataContext.Attach(entity, false) method to attach the inserted records to the context.