Entity Framework 6.1.3 support for PostgreSQL

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
kaushalparik27

Entity Framework 6.1.3 support for PostgreSQL

Post by kaushalparik27 » Thu 05 Jan 2017 13:34

Hello Experts,
I am trying to connect to a PostgreSQL database with Entity Framework 6.1.3. I used trial version of dotConnect Profesisonal edition for PostgreSQL. Problem is, it only works till I use EF 5.0, when I try to use EF having version > 5.0 (till 6.1.3 which is latest), I face this error:

Schema specified is not valid. Errors:
Model1.ssdl(2,2) : error 0152: No Entity Framework provider found for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'Devart.Data.PostgreSql'. Make sure the provider is registered in the 'entityFramework' section of the application config file. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Entity Framework 6.1.3 support for PostgreSQL

Post by Shalex » Thu 05 Jan 2017 19:27

You should add registration of EF6 provider in your app.config manually and rebuild (!) the project before running the EDM Wizard:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <section name="entityFramework" type="System.Data.Entity.Internal.ConfigFile.EntityFrameworkSection, EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
  </configSections>
  <entityFramework>
    <providers>
      <provider invariantName="Devart.Data.PostgreSql" type="Devart.Data.PostgreSql.Entity.PgSqlEntityProviderServices, Devart.Data.PostgreSql.Entity.EF6, Version=7.7.804.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
    </providers>
  </entityFramework>
  <system.data>
    <DbProviderFactories>
      <remove invariant="Devart.Data.PostgreSql" />
      <add name="dotConnect for PostgreSQL" invariant="Devart.Data.PostgreSql" description="Devart dotConnect for PostgreSQL"
       type="Devart.Data.PostgreSql.PgSqlProviderFactory, Devart.Data.PostgreSql, Version=7.7.804.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
    </DbProviderFactories>
  </system.data>
</configuration>
Replace 7.7.804.0 here with your current version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL.

We recommend you to use Entity Developer (the Devart Entity Model item, *.edml) instead of EDM Designer (the ADO.NET Entity Data Model item, *.edmx) because it is adjusted for working with PostgreSQL and has an advanced functionality: http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/ed-vs-edm.html. Additionally, Entity Developer adds registration of EF6 provider in app.config automatically and offers designer (Database First / Model First) for EF Core.