Problem with provider

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
Mayank

Problem with provider

Post by Mayank » Sat 22 Apr 2006 20:05

Im getting the foll. error:

column "locked" is of type bit but expression is of type integer

and why is it that for login name i get Administrators\ instead of actual username

is the provider really reliable?

Please guide

Mayank

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 25 Apr 2006 06:30

Please specify these problems in details: what is the expression of type integer, when do you get Administrators\?
You can send us small test project if possible to reproduce the problem; it is desirable to use 'test' schema objects, otherwise include definition of
your own database objects. Do not use third party components.
If it is impossible for you to create test project please send us a piece of
your code which causes said errors.

Mayank

Issue Solved

Post by Mayank » Tue 25 Apr 2006 21:12

Im sorry for posting the previous message without doing proper research myself..

The integer problem got solved by changing the data type of aspnet_sessions.locked to smallint from bit

The username problem got solved by changing the authentication type in web.config from windows to forms

However I do have another question ... why has the bit data type been used for userid columns instead of int or bigint? I need to capture the user id in my code

thanks

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 26 Apr 2006 06:16

This USERID column is to store GUIDs.
bit is most suitable type for this.

Mayank

Is there any alternative

Post by Mayank » Wed 26 Apr 2006 11:37

But what I know about GUIDs is that they require more storage space and it takes more time to analyze when used in a WHERE clause compared to integer values

Is it possible for me to add one more column to the membership table (bigintserial) and use it in my code and other tables instead of using GUID columns in all the tables??

Please suggest

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 26 Apr 2006 12:39

This data type was choosen by analogy with Microsoft Web Provider for SQLServer. Nothing can be changed.

Mayank

Session.Abandon() causes error

Post by Mayank » Sun 30 Apr 2006 14:52

On logout I call session.abandon() method which gives the foll. error ... why?

syntax error at or near "*"

stack trace

[PgSqlException (0x80004005): syntax error at or near "*"]
CoreLab.Common.Web.Providers.DbSessionStateStore.RemoveItem(HttpContext context, String id, Object lockId, SessionStateStoreData item) +394
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.OnReleaseState(Object source, EventArgs eventArgs) +371
System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +138
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +65

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 03 May 2006 06:25

Please send us small test project if possible to reproduce this problem; it is desirable to use 'test' schema objects, otherwise include definition of
your own database objects. Do not use third party components.
If it is impossible for you to create test project please send us a piece of
your code where the error occurs.

Mayank

Post by Mayank » Wed 03 May 2006 17:49

the problem is simple to recreate...

Add a login control on one page A and login status on another B. the user is redirected to B. in the LoggingOut event say Session.Abandon() and there u go with the error mentioned above.

Ive simply added the same content to web.config as given in CoreLab help.

And I just realised that there is no personalisation support .. is it going to be added in later versions?

Mayank

Sorry again.. personalization is supported

Post by Mayank » Wed 03 May 2006 18:02

Sorry didn't do proper research again... provider does support personalization. But in which table is the personalization data stored?

Mayank

No doesn't support personalization

Post by Mayank » Wed 03 May 2006 19:01

I thought it supports but my project was actually using the sql server express ..

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 04 May 2006 10:53

Please describe the problem in details. It is very difficult to find out what's wrong from all these posts.