.net core support?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
eneiand

.net core support?

Post by eneiand » Sat 29 Apr 2017 03:11

Hi,

I'm looking for an ADO connector for my Postgres diff tool. Is dotConnect .net core compatible?

Thanks,
Neil

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: .net core support?

Post by Shalex » Mon 01 May 2017 12:14

We are working on the .NET Core support in dotConnect for PostgreSQL. It will be released soon. We will notify you when the feature is available.

JIC

EF Core is being developed by Microsoft for the following target platforms:
* .NET 4.5.1 and higher -> EF Core for this platform is supported by dotConnect for PostgreSQL
* .NET Core -> in progress
* Universal Windows Platform -> under review

A current workaround for adding the Devart.* assemblies in .NET Core project is described at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34352#p119065 to target "dnx451" (instead of "netcoreapp1.1").

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 30 May 2017 14:50

Devart is glad to announce the release of dotConnect for PostgreSQL 7.9 with support for .NET Core: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35438.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

EvilShrike

Post by EvilShrike » Tue 22 Aug 2017 11:43

Hi.

It's stated that since version 7.9.912 .NET Core is supported. But I have difficulties with getting that support. I've installed package dotConnect.Express.for.PostgreSQL 7.9.958 from nuget.org but it seems that it doesn't have .NET Core assemblies:

warning NU1701: Package 'dotConnect.Express.for.PostgreSQL 7.9.958' was restored using '.NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1' instead of the project target framework '.NETCoreApp,Version=v2.0'. This package may not be fully compatible with your project.

What did I miss?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 22 Aug 2017 17:20

Currently Express Edition is designed only for .NET Framework.

Please use this .NET Standard (.NET Core) package: https://www.nuget.org/packages/devart.data.postgresql.

Also refer to https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... ndard.html.

EvilShrike

Post by EvilShrike » Tue 22 Aug 2017 19:04

So, if I need express features on .net core then I have to buy full provider?
Do you have any plans for releasing dotConnect.Express.for.PostgreSQL with .net core support?

Regarding to installing license.
It's said in the doc:
dotConnect for PostgreSQL Trial checks license as a file in the C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License\ folder
But what about Linux? Where license should be? Will provider run on Linux at all?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 23 Aug 2017 11:39

EvilShrike wrote:So, if I need express features on .net core then I have to buy full provider?
Do you have any plans for releasing dotConnect.Express.for.PostgreSQL with .net core support?
According to the current editions matrix, .NET Core is included only to Professional and Standard editions: https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... tions.html.
EvilShrike wrote:
dotConnect for PostgreSQL Trial checks license as a file in the C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License\ folder
But what about Linux? Where license should be? Will provider run on Linux at all?
Please refer to viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35618.

EvilShrike

Post by EvilShrike » Wed 23 Aug 2017 12:41

Ok, I understand, thanks.

Let me just ask, is it final decision - not providing netcore compatibility in free versions (it relates to all providers) or just a temporary situation?
I really need only connectivity and sql commands execution features from provider, so it'd be some overhead to pay for all features and additionally have all that hassle with license installing.
Even if you have strictly decided to not providing netcore versions I'd better to buy a version with netcore support only w/o all linq/ef features..
As for licenses in netcore versions. Did you consider some kind of api for installing licenses in runtime which would not require deploying files and specifying anything in connecting strings?

EvilShrike

Post by EvilShrike » Fri 25 Aug 2017 09:10

Could you please comment about future netcore support in Express editions - does it make sense to wait or not? thanks

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 29 Aug 2017 14:17

EvilShrike wrote:Could you please comment about future netcore support in Express editions - does it make sense to wait or not?
There is no definite decision about .NET Core support in Express Edition. The editions matrix will be the same in the nearest future.
EvilShrike wrote:As for licenses in netcore versions. Did you consider some kind of api for installing licenses in runtime which would not require deploying files and specifying anything in connecting strings?
The current licensing approach is described at https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... ndard.html. The purchased version requires the License Key connection string entry with no additional steps. If this doesn't suit your scenario, please contact us and describe current drawbacks of our licensing implementation and your suggestions how we can improve it.

EvilShrike

Post by EvilShrike » Tue 29 Aug 2017 15:01

Since that post I tried trial netcore provider on Linux and it works fine. Thanks.
As for licensing. "License Key" key in connection string contains a key path. It would be cool if instead it was a key itself. Then we wouldn't have to deploy any additional assets. It's not critical indeed, but would be more handy for deployment.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 30 Aug 2017 09:28

EvilShrike wrote:"License Key" key in connection string contains a key path.
A key path is used only for trial licensing and only on Linux (and Mac): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35618.
EvilShrike wrote:It would be cool if instead it was a key itself.
After the purchase, you will get the key itself to use it in a connection string: https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... ndard.html.