Where is the Devart PostgreSql Destination object for SSIS?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
OutOfTouch6947

Where is the Devart PostgreSql Destination object for SSIS?

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Wed 08 Feb 2017 20:05

I am following the instructions from the help files tiled "Loading Data to PostgreSQL" I don't see a PostgreSql Destination object in the toolbox, the instructions mention it but never say how to add it to the Data Flow task.
I was able to create the Devart PostgreSQL Connection manager like the instructions stated.
I also need to know how I can execute a SQL Statement like an "Execute SQL Task" using the Devart PostgreSQL Connection manager.

OutOfTouch6947

Re: Where is the Devart PostgreSql Destination object for SSIS?

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Wed 08 Feb 2017 21:24

OutOfTouch6947 wrote:I am following the instructions from the help files tiled "Loading Data to PostgreSQL" I don't see a PostgreSql Destination object in the toolbox, the instructions mention it but never say how to add it to the Data Flow task.
I was able to create the Devart PostgreSQL Connection manager like the instructions stated.
I also need to know how I can execute a SQL Statement like an "Execute SQL Task" using the Devart PostgreSQL Connection manager.
Ok, I guess I missed adding the destination and source to the toolbox, I now see them,
Is there any way to execute a SQL statement like an "Execute SQL Task" using the Devart PostgreSQL Connection manager?

OutOfTouch6947

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Wed 08 Feb 2017 23:54

I tried doing this in a script task since there seems no other option that I am aware of. I added a reference to Devart.Data.PostgreSql located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\Devart.Data.PostgreSql.dll version is 7.7.832.0. There seems to be no ExecuteNonQuery method on the PgSqlCommand object like the help documentation shows. I looked at this object in the object browser and it is not ther. What am I doing wrong or missing?

OutOfTouch6947

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Thu 09 Feb 2017 13:44

OutOfTouch6947 wrote:I tried doing this in a script task since there seems no other option that I am aware of. I added a reference to Devart.Data.PostgreSql located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\Devart.Data.PostgreSql.dll version is 7.7.832.0. There seems to be no ExecuteNonQuery method on the PgSqlCommand object like the help documentation shows. I looked at this object in the object browser and it is not ther. What am I doing wrong or missing?
I am still stuck on how to execute a sql statement against PostgreSQL from SSIS using dotConnect for PostgreSQL. I really have no idea why I see no ExecuteNonQuery() method either.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 10 Feb 2017 13:38

OutOfTouch6947 wrote:I tried doing this in a script task since there seems no other option that I am aware of. I added a reference to Devart.Data.PostgreSql located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\Devart.Data.PostgreSql.dll version is 7.7.832.0. There seems to be no ExecuteNonQuery method on the PgSqlCommand object like the help documentation shows. I looked at this object in the object browser and it is not ther. What am I doing wrong or missing?
In addition to the Devart.Data.PostgreSql.dll, you also need to add a reference to the Devart.Data.dll assembly to the project.
OutOfTouch6947 wrote:Is there any way to execute a SQL statement like an "Execute SQL Task" using the Devart PostgreSQL Connection manager?
DevartPostgreSql connection cannot be used with Execute SQL Task. However, you can use ADO.NET Connection with the dotConnect for PostgreSQL connector in Execute SQL Task. For this you need to perform the following actions:
1. Add new ADO.NET Connection in Connection Manager.
2. Select the dotConnect for PostgreSQL provider and specify all the necessary parameters for the connection.
3. Add new Execute SQL Task and open it for editing.
4. Specify your SQL statement in the SQLStatement parameter.
5. Select ADO.NET in the ConnectionType parameter.
6. Select the created ADO.NET connection, using dotConnect for PostgreSQL, in the Connection parameter.

Now you can run Execute SQL Task with dotConnect for PostgreSQL.

OutOfTouch6947

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 16:44

Pinturiccio wrote:
In addition to the Devart.Data.PostgreSql.dll, you also need to add a reference to the Devart.Data.dll assembly to the project.
OutOfTouch6947 wrote:Is there any way to execute a SQL statement like an "Execute SQL Task" using the Devart PostgreSQL Connection manager?
DevartPostgreSql connection cannot be used with Execute SQL Task. However, you can use ADO.NET Connection with the dotConnect for PostgreSQL connector in Execute SQL Task. For this you need to perform the following actions:
2. Select the dotConnect for PostgreSQL provider and specify all the necessary parameters for the connection.
6. Select the created ADO.NET connection, using dotConnect for PostgreSQL, in the Connection parameter.

I appreciate the answer and I will give it a try.

I would still like to know though what I am missing since the help documentation shows an ExecuteNonQuery() Method on the PgSqlCommand object that I don't see in the object browser and that the code editor flags as not existing.

OutOfTouch6947

Post by OutOfTouch6947 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 17:09

OutOfTouch6947 wrote:
Pinturiccio wrote:

I appreciate the answer and I will give it a try.

I would still like to know though what I am missing since the help documentation shows an ExecuteNonQuery() Method on the PgSqlCommand object that I don't see in the object browser and that the code editor flags as not existing.
I figured out what I was doing wrong, I also need to reference to Devart.Data.