context.CreateDatabase fails when using UserId that is not postgres

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
tom.puckett

context.CreateDatabase fails when using UserId that is not postgres

Post by tom.puckett » Thu 17 Mar 2016 15:11

I have a model developed with Entity Developer 5.8.791 that has been converted into context and entity classes in c#. Using the context.CreateDatabase method, I can deploy this model to a PostgreSQL 9.5 server from c# code if the connection string has a userid of "postgres". I also have another user named "otheruser" on the server that has CREATEDB (and superuser) privilege. If I use this login role with the context.CreateDatabase method, I get an error like this:

PostgreSql.PqSqlException: {"database \"otheruser\" does not exist"}

It seems that the context CreateDatabase method depends somehow on the existence of a database that has the same name as the login role of the connection, seems like a bug.

Just for a test, I created a database named otheruser on my server, and then the context.CreateDatabase method was successful! But I don't want this database and it should not be required, of course. I think some developers don't see this issue because they often use the postgres login role, and a "postgres" database exists on most servers because it is created during the PostgreSQL server software installation.

I also saw this same issue described without a final conclusion here:
http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php? ... 7&p=109572

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: context.CreateDatabase fails when using UserId that is not postgres

Post by Shalex » Tue 22 Mar 2016 12:36

Please use

Code: Select all

context.CreateDatabase(false, true);
instead of

Code: Select all

context.CreateDatabase();
Does this work? If not, specify the current text of the error.

tom.puckett

Post by tom.puckett » Mon 04 Apr 2016 13:27

I tried the arguments as suggested but got exactly the same error. This happened no matter whether the target database exists or not. I copied the stack trace below in case that helps.

at Devart.Data.PostgreSql.u.v()
at Devart.Data.PostgreSql.u..ctor(j A_0)
at Devart.Data.PostgreSql.i.a(DbConnectionOptions A_0, Object A_1, DbConnectionBase A_2)
at Devart.Common.ab.a(DbConnectionPool A_0, DbConnectionOptions A_1, DbConnectionBase A_2)
at Devart.Common.DbConnectionPool.a(DbConnectionBase A_0)
at Devart.Common.DbConnectionPool.GetObject(DbConnectionBase owningConnection)
at Devart.Common.ab.c(DbConnectionBase A_0)
at Devart.Common.DbConnectionClosed.Open(DbConnectionBase outerConnection)
at Devart.Common.DbConnectionBase.Open()
at Devart.Data.PostgreSql.PgSqlConnection.Open()
at Devart.Data.PostgreSql.Linq.Provider.PgSqlDataProvider.CreateSchema(Boolean ignoreErrors)
at Devart.Data.Linq.DataProvider.CreateDatabase(Boolean ignoreErrors, Boolean createSchema)
at Devart.Data.Linq.DataProvider.b(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1)
at Devart.Data.Linq.DataContext.CreateDatabase(Boolean ignoreErrors, Boolean createSchema)
at CdrDbLibTestGui.Form1.button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Tom.Puckett\Source\Repos\PRMDevelopment\Databases\CdrDbLib\CdrDbLibTestGui\Form1.cs:line 74
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at CdrDbLibTestGui.Program.Main() in C:\Users\Tom.Puckett\Source\Repos\PRMDevelopment\Databases\CdrDbLib\CdrDbLibTestGui\Program.cs:line 19
at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 04 Apr 2016 14:33

Please send us a small test project so that we can reproduce the issue in our environment.