md5 authentication

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
nhill383

md5 authentication

Post by nhill383 » Mon 09 Nov 2015 01:40

if i look at the following link
https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... story.html

i see a mention for md5 authentication all the way back in 2003,

18-Dec-03 New features in PostgreSQLDirect .NET 1.50
MD5 and Crypt user authentication methods available

i realise that PostgreSQLDirect morphed into dotconnect provider, but don't understand what kind of changes were involved.

Do we still have the ability to use md5 authentication, i have researched in vain for any kind of documentation on this.

thanks
Nick

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: md5 authentication

Post by Pinturiccio » Mon 09 Nov 2015 14:13

The latest version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL 7.4.521 supports MD5 user authentication methods. If you have the corresponding record in the pg_hba.conf config file, it's enough to specify user id and password in the connection string, and the connection will be established using MD5 user authentication methods. For more information, please refer to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/stat ... -conf.html

nhill383

Post by nhill383 » Wed 11 Nov 2015 19:14

thank you for the response.

i had been searching in devart documentation, in vain obviously. I have read the docs but i still don't quite know how the client knows to use MD5. it would defeat the object if it tried clear text password first and then revert to MD5 if that failed. That question is more out of interest, i have done some testing and it seems to work, just don't quite know why.

i have had a really good look at my pg_hba.conf file and removed lots of redundant records that were in there.

if you had any insight into how the client knows to use MD5 i would be interested, otherwise i will do some searching on the web.

issue can be closed, thanks again

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 12 Nov 2015 15:14

nhill383 wrote:if you had any insight into how the client knows to use MD5 i would be interested
PostgreSQL Server itself tells which authentication method (e.g.: MD5) should be used by a provider.