Licensing problem in Data Layer

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
jcorder

Licensing problem in Data Layer

Post by jcorder » Wed 15 Mar 2006 23:04

I have reviewed the topic on licensing in the help. I am using the PostGRE driver and getting an error that the "License is expired or not valid." This is in a project which is the data layer, so there are no forms to drop the PgSqlConnection object on. I am using version 2.40.13.0.

I added licenses.licx to the project as an Embedded Resource. I copied the text ("CoreLab.PostgreSql.PgSqlConnection, CoreLab.PostgreSql") from the help file and pasted it into licenses.licx.

I get the error when I call the adapter.fill method to load a table.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SecureGen
Devart Team

Post by SecureGen » Thu 16 Mar 2006 07:26

Please check if you can use PostgreSQLDirect .NET in newly created WinForms project. Drop PgSqlConnection component from toolbox to designer to automatically add required licensing resource.
If problem remains, send us this test project with compiled binaries.

jcorder

Not in the Assembly?

Post by jcorder » Thu 16 Mar 2006 15:03

On a lark, I tried placing the licenses.licx file in the main project (instead of the project where the data was ACTUALLY ACCESSED). It seems to like the license resource there. Is this by design? Wouldn't it make more sense to include the license resource in the same project where the data is actually accessed? This is going to be a pain as the data project is reused.

SecureGen
Devart Team

Post by SecureGen » Fri 17 Mar 2006 14:31

This is designed behavior of our licensing scheme. Refer to "Class Libraries Support" section of "Licensing" topic for informatioin on how to handle this situation.

bradk

Post by bradk » Fri 21 Apr 2006 14:53

I too am trying to decipher all of the licensing issues and how to make them work well in an enterprise environment. For example, what is the licensing scenario for an ASP.Net web project, that uses a class library, which uses a data acces layer, which uses your product ?

Your class library licensing solution as documented is too admin intensive, and only addresses executables. Some clear guidance on the scenario I describe above would also be useful.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 26 Apr 2006 08:38

On a machine with VS2005 install our product, add licenses.licx file to the project, make App_Licenses.dll, compile the project, copy all assemblies to the server and App_Licenses.dll.
For additional information read "Licensing" topic of help documentation.