How to get the providerUserKey to create a user if I have 2 membership providers

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
JORGEMAL

How to get the providerUserKey to create a user if I have 2 membership providers

Post by JORGEMAL » Wed 21 Jan 2015 00:59

I wonder if this post belongs to this forum. Please let me know if I should ask somewhere else.

I need to use 2 different Membership providers in my web application so I have set both of them in the web.config file. The 2 of them are based on Devart for PostgreSQL with the only difference that they need a different connection string each one. I see that, to create a new user with this approach, I need to issue the following command in code:

Code: Select all

Membership.Providers["nameOfProvider"].CreateUser(string UserName, string Password, string email, string passwordQuestion, string passwordAnswer, bool isApproved, object providerUserKey, out MembershipCreateStatus status);
How do I get the providerUserKey "before" creating the user?

I found the information in the link below but I just do not get the idea, however I see that in my case it is related to the MembershipProvider, that is why I think that you can help.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... .110).aspx

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: How to get the providerUserKey to create a user if I have 2 membership providers

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 23 Jan 2015 16:56

JORGEMAL wrote:How do I get the providerUserKey "before" creating the user?
You need to pass a Guid value to the providerUserKey parameter. Here is the sample that creates a user.

In this sample the 'g' variable stores a value. If you need any specific value, create a Guid with this value. This is how you can assign the providerUserKey value to the 'g' variable before creating the user.

Code: Select all

MembershipCreateStatus status;
Guid g = Guid.NewGuid();
Membership.Providers["nameOfProvider"].CreateUser("testuser", "1111111", "asda", "gg", "gg", true, g, out status);
You can also assign a 'null' value to the providerUserKey parameter. In this case our code generates a random Guid for this parameter.