Failing to Generate Postgresql DB Script from EDMX

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
nate393

Failing to Generate Postgresql DB Script from EDMX

Post by nate393 » Thu 31 Jul 2014 18:02

Hi,

im trying to migrate to postgresql from ms sql. i have the following:

1. visual studio 2013 project with references to (devart.data,devart.data.postgresql,devart.data.postgresql.entity)
2. dotconnect postgresql 7.3.215
3.entity framework 6.1.1

I need to migrate our current ms sql generated edmx to a postgresql server. From what I've read, and with attempts on earlier versions of the above mentioned, I've managed to do this. however, I cannot with the above mentioned versions. I get the following error when clicking "Generate Database from Model" from the edmx:

"Could not find the appropriate dbProviderManifest to generate the SSDL. the supplied provider manifest token '2012' is not valid.

any help would be appreciated
thank you

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Failing to Generate Postgresql DB Script from EDMX

Post by Shalex » Fri 01 Aug 2014 05:38

You have installed the Professional edition of dotConnect for PostgreSQL, haven't you? Only Professional edition supports Entity Framework. You can check your edition via the Tools > PostgreSQL > About menu of Visual Studio.

Please install Entity Developer Professional Trial for migrating (you can uninstall it after the migration is done, it is needed because it supports System.Data.SqlClient):
a) open your existing *.edmx model in Entity Developer
b) change provider to dotConnect for PostgreSQL (Devart.Data.PostgreSql) via Database Explorer, adjust the new connection string
c) right click on designer surface > Regenerate Storage and Mapping
d) save model (as *.edml). Entity Developer allows only to import *.edmx but the output would be *.edml. Output can not be *.edmx because Entity Developer uses extra tags and attributes, additional features which are not supported by EDM Designer. Devart designer (*.edml) offers a wider range of functionality comparing to the standard designer.
That's all. Now you can uninstall Entity Developer as a separate tool. dotConnect for PostgreSQL Professional includes its own Entity Developer which can be used only with Devart.Data.PostgreSql.

We recommend using Entity Developer (the Devart Entity Model item, *.edml) instead of EDM Wizard/Designer (the ADO.NET Entity Data Model, *.edmx) because Entity Developer includes an advanced functionality comparing to standard EDM Designer: http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/ed-vs-edm.html .

After migration is done, open your *.edml model, navigate to Tools > Entity Developer > Model Explorer > the Templates node and choose the needed code generation template.