Continuous Integration and Nuget Packages for Devart

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
ucelenli

Continuous Integration and Nuget Packages for Devart

Post by ucelenli » Mon 28 Apr 2014 08:01

Hello,

I am keen of the updates for dotConnect for PostgreSQL, I look forward to them and always keep my projects updated. As I use Continuous Integration systems (like teamcity etc) my project dependencies always come from NuGet packages.

When it comes to dotConnect, I manually install the new update on server (and developer machine) and go thru all web.config files and change the version of the dotConnect provider, sometimes I forget for some projects... And it causes problems.

I wanted to know if there's a way of automating the updates for Devart's licensed version for dotConnect. I know express version packages are available.

Is there a workaround? Is it possible?

Thanks.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: Continuous Integration and Nuget Packages for Devart

Post by Pinturiccio » Tue 29 Apr 2014 14:41

You have described the necessary steps correctly. If you want to upgrade dotConnect for PostgreSQL you need to uninstall the old version first (or let the installer of the new version do it for you), then install the new version, and after this update your project to the new assembly versions, including the web.config file.

Unfortunately, for now this is the only way to upgrade dotConnect for PostgreSQL to a new version.
ucelenli wrote:I know express version packages are available.
dotConnect for PostgreSQL Express edition is available on a NuGet server. Other editions cannot be distributed via NuGet because only run-time assemblies can be supplied in this way.

gkc

Re: Continuous Integration and Nuget Packages for Devart

Post by gkc » Thu 22 May 2014 15:10

You can try Code-based Registration described in here:

http://blog.devart.com/entity-framework ... #CodeBased

You should be able to override generated context creation code and then just remove all the provider info in your project's config file.