Problem installing version 6.6.224.0

Problem installing version 6.6.224.0

Postby JORGEMAL » Thu 25 Apr 2013 18:22

I downloaded dotConnect for PostgreSQL version 6.6.224.0 and have a problem during installation. I am getting a message saying that an incompatible version is already installed and that some assemblies are already in the GAC. I have sent a screenshot for your reference. I did a search and do not find any assembly in my PC, my searh included system and hidden files. I will very much appreciate your comments.
JORGEMAL

Re: Problem installing version 6.6.224.0

Postby Pinturiccio » Fri 26 Apr 2013 15:00

All Devart data providers use a common assembly (Devart.Data.dll). We release our ADO.NET data providers simultaneously, thus releases with the same date are compatible. The compatibility of providers depends on their release date, not their version.

The issue may be caused by the following:
1. Some other Devart dotConnect provider is installed along with dotConnect for PostgreSQL. In this case, you should install compatible versions of Devart dotConnect providers on one computer. The release dates of product versions can be found at:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgresql/revision_history.html

2. After uninstalling the previous version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL, data of dotConnect for PostgreSQL were not completely removed. Try clearing these data manually:
1) remove all Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* files from the GAC;
2) clear the Program Files\Devart\dotConnect and Program Files\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect folders;

Besides, one more issue is possible (this is a very rare case in fact). After uninstalling the previous version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL, empty Devart.* folders remained in the GAC. These folders are located in the %windir%\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ directory.
To get to this directory, you should use Explorer with GAC shell extension turned off. GAC shell extension connects to Explorer using the Desktop.ini file located in the assembly folder. Rename the Desktop.ini file to display the content of the assembly folder like content of any other folder. For this, run the following three commands in Command Prompt:
1. Go to the GAC folder:
cd %windir%\assembly
2. Remove the system and hidden attributes for the Desktop.ini file:
attrib –s –h desktop.ini
3. Rename the file to disable the shell extension
ren Desktop.ini Desktop.ini.disabled

After this, use Explorer to go to the %windir%\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ folder and delete empty folders with names like Devart.*

And finally, rename the Desktop.ini.disabled file to Desktop.ini.
Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: Problem installing version 6.6.224.0

Postby JORGEMAL » Fri 26 Apr 2013 15:17

I have installed dotConnect successfully.

Thank you.
JORGEMAL

Return to dotConnect for PostgreSQL