Handles fail to get released

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
abrussawr

Handles fail to get released

Post by abrussawr » Tue 28 Feb 2012 02:51

Hi we have a server running postgresql 9.0.3. The server has web services on it which use dotconnect for postgresql version 5.10.141.0 to insert into the database. The web services are in C#.

Everything works great except that the System process on the server fails to release handles. Eventually the handle count on the System process goes to 130,000. Then the whole machine malfunctions and I'm forced to reboot. This happens once every seven days.

I'm closing all database connections in the web service code. Has anyone had a similar problem. Do you have any suggestions? Should I upgrade my dotconnect to the latest version?

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Thu 01 Mar 2012 14:31

You can upgrade to the latest version if your subscription is valid, or download the Trial Edition of dotConnect for PostgreSQL at http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... nload.html and check if the bug is fixed.
Also tell us, whether you use connection pool?

abrussawr

Post by abrussawr » Sun 04 Mar 2012 18:54

The problem ended up being something totally unrelated. It is a bug in a License Manager we use which was leaking registry handles. I'm not going to upgrade and yes we use connection pooling by default.