app.config runtime section for apps

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
kerrywales

app.config runtime section for apps

Post by kerrywales » Tue 25 Oct 2011 12:30

From v4 with vs 2008 to provide a distributed version of the application I provide the needed DLL's in the same folder of the app and I have the following lines in the app.config

This first one is fine and the version number is changed with every update

Code: Select all

However I had the need to add the following section

Code: Select all

which I have never changed and the distributed app seems happy and I don't need to install the client files from the Devart .exe.

But Devart has been updated many times since the code was first written and VS2010 now shows Devart.Data to be of version

I must have the runtime section in the app.config or the app wont run. But the config has, in my eyes, a wrong version number. Yet it happily works.

My questions are:
Why so I need the section if it is ignored?
Should I be matching the upper version limit with the version number shown in the VS properties box for Devart.Data?

Thanks.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 31 Oct 2011 12:29

kerrywales wrote:Why so I need the section if it is ignored?
It is ignored because your redirection works only for the 0.0.0.0-5.0.105.0 versions of Devart.Data.dll. So there is no redirection for Devart.Data.dll v 5.0.327.
kerrywales wrote:Should I be matching the upper version limit with the version number shown in the VS properties box for Devart.Data?
It depends on the range of versions you are going to cover using the oldVersion attribute.

Please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7wd6ex19.aspx.