Map data type "name" in entity framework

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
asowmyan

Map data type "name" in entity framework

Post by asowmyan » Fri 14 Oct 2011 15:22

Hi

I have a view that gets the users from pg_user (field name usename) view with some filter condition. I am trying to map this view in entity framework and I am getting an error saying name datatype cannot be mapped. I tried to cast the name type to text but postgresql doesnt accept that cast. Is there any other way to get this done?

Thanks
Anandhi

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 20 Oct 2011 08:39

There is a general rule: any data type can be used in Entity Framework if the database allows to work with the data type in the way like it works with a primitive type.

So if some "advanced" type can be read as byte array (or string or int etc) and be successfully inserted in the same way, there is a common solution:
- import table in the model within Entity Developer
- change the data type of the "advanced" column in SSDL to the corresponding primitive database data type (which is supported)
- adjust the "advanced" column data type in CSDL (set it to the corresponding .NET type)

If the "advanced" type cannot be treated as a primitive type, there is no possibility to use it in Entity Framework.