Create a method in Entity Developer for a postgres function

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
TonyV

Create a method in Entity Developer for a postgres function

Post by TonyV » Wed 12 Oct 2011 18:37

I have a stored function in my Postgres database that looks like this:

Code: Select all

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "CarSystem"."ScanLists"( OUT RowCount INT ) RETURNS INT
AS $$
When I run the Update Model from Database wizard I check off this function to be imported into the Model. But there's no method for it. If I try to right click and select "Create Method", or if I drag the function onto the design surface, I get the following error:

Cannot create method for a storage function 'ScanLists' that can be composed. Only stored procedures can be mapped."
I want to be able to execute this stored proc from code through the entity model. How do I do this?

Tony

TonyV

I thought I had a fix for this, but it doesn't work

Post by TonyV » Mon 17 Oct 2011 19:49

As the title says, I thought I had a fix for this.

I edited the stored procedure's settings in the Entity Developer. I set the
return type to None. This allowed me to create a method for the stored procedure. But when I call the resulting method, I get the following error:

function CarSystem.ScanLists(unknown) does not exist
I need to be able to call this stored function. Frankly, it doesn't need any arguments and it could return void. But when I set it up like that, Entity Developer doesn't like it for other reasons.

Should I just use the context's ExecuteFunction method to call this stored procedure and get rid of the argument & return type?

Tony

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 18 Oct 2011 16:35

Please perform the following steps:
1. Drag the ScanLists function on the designer surface.
2. Go to the Moder Explorer->Model.Store. Edit the properties of this function: set Concealed to true.
3. Drag the function from the Model.Store to the designer surface.
4. Change the Return Type of the generated method (Model Explorer->Methods->ScanList->Properties > Return Type) to Int32.

EF doesn't allow to create method of context basing on the function (not stored procedure) which returns result. "Consealed" is our workaround for functions.