Upgraded to Sep 06 release and can't log in to database

Upgraded to Sep 06 release and can't log in to database

Postby TonyV » Fri 16 Sep 2011 14:49

I recently upgraded to the Sep 06 2011 release of dotConnect for PostgreSQL. After upgrading the projects in my solution to the new DLLs, my code can no longer connect to the database.

I even tried upgrading my Entity Framework model from the database and now Entity Framework will not connect.

The connection string my code uses is: User Id=CarSystem;Password=ELSAGelsag;Host=BREW-LAB-04;Database=CarSystem;Persist Security Info=True;Schema='"CarSystem"'

The error I'm getting is "Unexpected server response". I've verivied that the server is up & running. I'm using PostgreSql 9.04 64 bit server.

Help!

Tony
TonyV

Interesting test results

Postby TonyV » Fri 16 Sep 2011 19:45

I have installed PostgreSQL 9.1 on my machine, without uninstalling 9.0.4. The 9.1 install uses port 5433 to connect to it.

I created an empty copy of my database on the 9.1 server, and then I ran Entity Developer & created a new Data Model. In the Connection dialog, I specified the 9.1 port. I'm able to connect to the 9.1 server without problems but I still can't connec to the 9.0.4 server.

So it seems this is a backwards compatibility issue with the database driver. As my code is still in development, I'll just upgrade my server to 9.1 and be done with it. However, it would be nice if you could access previous releases of the server with this version of the dotConnect library.

I mean, once this is in production, I don't want to tell my users they have to upgrade postgres on their systems in addition to upgrading our software.

Tony

Tony
TonyV

Postby Shalex » Wed 21 Sep 2011 14:42

TonyV wrote:The error I'm getting is "Unexpected server response". I've verivied that the server is up & running. I'm using PostgreSql 9.04 64 bit server.

We cannot reproduce the problem with opening connection to PostgreSql 9.0.4 64 bit using dotConnect for PostgreSQL v 5.50.214 either with PgSqlConnection.Open() or via ObjectContext.
Check if your PostgreSQL server is installed correctly and accepts connections. For example, try:
1) to establish connection with plain ADO.NET PgSqlConnection.Open(). Is there any internal exception?
2) connecting to your server using the same connection string with another tool.
Shalex
Devart Team

Problem is resolved

Postby TonyV » Wed 21 Sep 2011 20:59

Since I posted the question, I have uninstalled PostgreSQL version 9.0.4 and reinstalled it. Everything is working fine now. I dont' know what was wrong with the configuration I had on this machine originally, but whatever it was, it's back to normal now.

Tony
TonyV

Return to dotConnect for PostgreSQL