sorry, too many clients already

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
PatrickG

sorry, too many clients already

Post by PatrickG » Fri 09 Sep 2011 17:47

I am getting the error "sorry, too many clients already" when running in release mode, but not debug mode.

I don't believe I should be getting this error at all because I have explicitly limited the connection pool size (50) and my postgresql.conf specifies max_connections to be 110.

Other than pdAdmin III, using 3 connections there are not any other connections to the database.

I am using the following connection string:
Host=127.0.0.1;Port=5432;Database=my_database;Unicode=True;Integrated Security=True;Max Pool Size=50;Pooling=True;

When I query pg_stat_activity, the current connections does get up to 110, then my application errors out with the previously stated error. All of the connections are idle, and every PgSqlConnection I call is in a using. So I am at a loss for what I could be doing wrong here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Patrick

PatrickG

sorry, too many clients already - SSPI bug

Post by PatrickG » Fri 09 Sep 2011 19:12

It looks like the problem only occurs when using integrated security, so there must be some sort of bug in the SSPI implementation...

Patrick

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 13 Sep 2011 16:14

PatrickG wrote:I am getting the error "sorry, too many clients already" when running in release mode, but not debug mode.
Do you mean the Project > Properties > Build > Configuration setting of your project in Visual Studio (release/debug)? If yes, could you please try to localize the issue? Which exact setting of your release mode causes the problem?

PatrickG

sorry, too many clients already - SSPI bug

Post by PatrickG » Tue 13 Sep 2011 19:26

I thought it was a debug/release problem initially, but it turned out to just be a problem when using SSPI / integrated security in my connection string. Connections in the pool are not being re-used. Each and every query executed creates a new connection in the pool until no more can be created, then the "sorry, too many clients already" exception is thrown.

Hope that helps, it is pretty easy to duplicate.

cjbiggs

Post by cjbiggs » Wed 14 Sep 2011 03:04

PatrickG is correct. I am having the same problem. It is very easy to reproduce. I am using SSPI/GSS integrated security in my connection string and it is creating a new connection each time.

Thanks,

Charlie J.

cjbiggs

Post by cjbiggs » Thu 15 Sep 2011 16:15

I am able to close the connection by overriding the dispose method for my EF Context. But I dont know if this is the best and safe way to do it.

protected override void Dispose(bool disposing)
{
Devart.Data.PostgreSql.PgSqlConnection.ClearAllPools();
//Devart.Data.PostgreSql.PgSqlConnection.ClearPool((PgSqlConnection)((EntityConnection)this.Connection).StoreConnection);

base.Dispose(disposing);
}

Thanks,

Charlie J.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 16 Sep 2011 11:51

We are investigating the issue with SSPI/GSS connection pooling.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 29 Sep 2011 14:01

The bug with connection pooling when using SSPI/GSS authentication is fixed. We will post here when the corresponding public build of dotConnect for PostgreSQL is available for download.

PatrickG, please send your e-mail, registration and company names, which you have used during registration of our product, to me (alexsh at devart*com). We will send an internal build with the fix to you.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 24 Oct 2011 16:27

New build of dotConnect for PostgreSQL 5.50.237 is available for download now!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... nload.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22383 .