Documentation Not Loading - Help Collection Invalid

Documentation Not Loading - Help Collection Invalid

Postby icecrew » Thu 31 Mar 2011 15:24

Hi all,

I just installed dotConnect for PostgreSQL v5.10.126 and I get the following message when I am trying to launch the documentation from the program group in the Start Menu: Microsoft Document Explorer cannot be shown because the specified help collection 'mshelp://Devart.Data.PostgreSql' is invalid. I also get this error when I try to launch LINQ documentation from the program group in the Start Menu: Microsoft Document Explorer cannot be shown because the specified help collection 'mshelp://Devart.Data.Linq' is invalid.

I experienced this error with dotConnect for PostgreSQL v5.10.96 so I hoped that upgrading to the latest version would have gotten rid of the error. I am using Windows Vista Business Edition SP2. I am also using Visual Studio 2010.

Documentation for other products loads successfully in the Doc Explorer, it is only Devart documentation that fails to load. Note that if I have a code window open in Visual Studio, pressing F1 will launch Devart documentation. Instead of opening in Doc Explorer however, it opens in IE via the Help Library Agent.

Let me know if any additional information is needed. Thanks in advance.
icecrew

Postby Shalex » Tue 05 Apr 2011 13:47

Please give us the following information:
1. Have you added the dotConnect for PostgreSQL help collections (dotConnect for PostgreSQL Documentation, Entity Developer Documentation, LinqConnect Documentation) to Help Library via Help Library Manager while installing provider? The Help Library Manager window should appear during installation automatically.
2. Do you have any errors in the \Program Files\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\Install.log file? If you have this file, please sent it to us.
3. Are you able to run our docs via the Tools > PostgreSQL > dotConnect for PostgreSQL Help menu of VS? It works in my environment.
I get the following message when I am trying to launch the documentation from the program p in the Start Menu
Start Menu > All Programs > ...
Please give us the full path to the help collection you are running.
5. Have you installed any Visual Studios other than VS2010 on your workstation?
Shalex
Devart Team

Postby Shalex » Tue 05 Apr 2011 13:58

As an alternative, the dotConnect for PostgreSQL documentation is available in the following ways:
1) online - http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgresql/docs
2) as a single chm file - http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... gresql.chm
Shalex
Devart Team

Postby icecrew » Tue 05 Apr 2011 16:35

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Here are the answers to your queries.

1. Yes I added the help collections during the installation.

2. The file C:\Program Files\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\Install.log does not exist on my system.

3. Yes I can launch the documentation via the "Tools > PostgreSQL > dotConnect for PostgreSQL Help" menu.

4a. Start Menu > All Programs > Devart dotConnect for PostgreSQL > Documentation. This shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 9\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://Devart.Data.PostgreSql /LaunchNamedUrlTopic DefaultPage".

4b. Start Menu > All Programs > Devart dotConnect for PostgreSQL > LINQ Documentation. This shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 9\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://Devart.Data.Linq /LaunchNamedUrlTopic DefaultPage".

5. No other VS versions on my computer, only VS2010.

Thanks.
icecrew

Postby Shalex » Mon 11 Apr 2011 10:53

icecrew wrote:4a. Start Menu > All Programs > Devart dotConnect for PostgreSQL > Documentation. This shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 9\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://Devart.Data.PostgreSql /LaunchNamedUrlTopic DefaultPage".

4b. Start Menu > All Programs > Devart dotConnect for PostgreSQL > LINQ Documentation. This shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 9\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://Devart.Data.Linq /LaunchNamedUrlTopic DefaultPage".

Documentation is opened successfully in my environment.

1. Have you selected the "Merge dotConnect for PostgreSQL documentation with your Help Collection now (this takes much time)" option while installing?
2. Please unistall dotConnect for PostgreSQL and install it again with the /log option using command line:
dcpostgresql510pro.exe /log="D:\Devart.log"
While installing, specify the option from the point 1. Send us the result Devart.log file.
3. Tell us the version of your Microsoft Document Explorer. My version is 9.0.30729.1 SP.
Shalex
Devart Team

RE: Documentation Not Loading - Help Collection Invalid

Postby icecrew » Mon 11 Apr 2011 14:15

1. Yes I selected that option.

2. While uninstalling I got this message:

Cannot interact with Visual Studio Vs10 IDE
Check if this IDE is installed correctly.

Please contact Devart if you cannot solve the problem.
Install.log file saved in dotConnect for PostgreSQl installation folder.

This is not a fatal error, setup will continue after you click OK.

I have sent the uninstall log file via your contact page.

I have re-installed dotConnect using the command line. I am still getting the same error when launching the documentation. I have sent the install log file (Devart.log) to you via your contact page.

3. For some strange reason I am seeing two directories containing Document Explorer. Under folder "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 8" I have dexplore.exe v8.0.50727.1826. In the file properties, VS2005 is listed as the product name. VS2005 was never installed on this machine btw. Under folder "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 9" I have dexplore.exe v9.0.30729.1 - which points to VS 2010 - the only version ever installed on this machine.

I also have Silverlight 3 & 4 SDKs as well as SQL Server 2008 Express installed on this machine. Maybe they installed some VS2005 components? :?:
icecrew

Postby Shalex » Tue 12 Apr 2011 15:36

The reason why the help is not launched from the Start menu is because Visual Studio 2008 is not installed on your workstation. I will notify you when the issue is fixed. As a temporary workaround, please use alternative ways to get the dotConnect for PostgreSQL documentation:
1) run the Tools > PostgreSQL > dotConnect for PostgreSQL Help menu of Visual Studio
2) online - http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgresql/docs
3) as a single chm file - http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... gresql.chm
Shalex
Devart Team

Postby icecrew » Tue 12 Apr 2011 16:13

Ok thanks. I'll use the workarounds in the meantime.
icecrew

Postby Shalex » Fri 22 Apr 2011 10:32

We have fixed the bug with launching Devart documentation via Start menu. I will post here when the corresponding build of dotConnect for PostgreSQL is available for download.
Shalex
Devart Team

Postby Shalex » Wed 27 Apr 2011 13:59

dotConnect for PostgreSQL v 5.30.145 Beta includes the mentioned fix. It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... nload.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only): http://secure.devart.com/ .
Shalex
Devart Team

Return to dotConnect for PostgreSQL