How to register 5.10 for Reporting Services?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
amcalister

How to register 5.10 for Reporting Services?

Post by amcalister » Mon 14 Feb 2011 18:58

I just purchased dotConnect for PostgreSQL version 5.10. I have installed and am now trying to use Reporting Services. However, I get this error when I try to open the data tab on an existing Reporting Services project (VS 2005), "The data extension Devart.Data.PostgresSQL was not found in the configuration file RSReportDesigner.config. Add the extension to the configuration file before proceeding or choose another data extension."

If I try to create a new Reporting Services project using the wizard. dotConnect for PostgreSQL is not found in the list of data source types.

What is the procedure for registering dotConnect for PostgreSQL? It worked earlier in version 4.65 (http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 54ef671894) except that the parameters didn't work, so I upgraded to version 5.10 to hopefully fix that problem.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 15 Feb 2011 14:38

1. Tell us the exact version (x.xx.xxx) and edition of your dotConnect for PostgreSQL. You can find it in the Tools > PostgreSQL > About menu of Visual Studio. Please note that the SQL Server Business Intelligence Solutions support is available only in the Professional edition: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... tions.html.

2. Is your project type Report Server or Report Model?
3. Tell us the capacity (x86 or x64) of your:
- operating system;
- SSRS.
4. You are using SSRS 2005, aren't you?

Please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17681.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 15 Feb 2011 15:19

Update to the mentioned thread: SQL Server Reporting Services x64 are already supported by dotConnect for PostgreSQL.

amcalister

Post by amcalister » Tue 15 Feb 2011 17:37

Version of dotConnect is 5.10.96.0.
Version of Visual Studio 2005 is 8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600)
.NET Framework version is 2.0.50727 SP2
XP Professional version 2002 SP 3 (32 bit)

I am using the using the Professional version of dotConnect. The name of the download file is dcpostgres510pro.exe.

I am trying to create a Report Server project. I have read the thread you referred to and attempted to follow the instructions therein. The odd thing is that is that with the previous version of dotConnect (4.55) that I had everything installed correctly, the only problem was that version of dotConnect didn't support parameters in Report Server.

amcalister

Post by amcalister » Thu 17 Feb 2011 21:05

So should I have to register for Reporting Services manually or should the install do it? If I have to then what is the procedure?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 18 Feb 2011 17:50

I cannot reproduce the problem when Devart.Data.PostgreSql is not available in the Type dropdown list of the Shared Data Source menu in VS2005 with dotConnect for PostgreSQL v 5.10.96 Professional. It works in our environment.

Although you have already mentioned, please make sure again:
1) your edition is Professional (other editions do not support SSRS). You can find it in the Tools > PostgreSQL > About menu of Visual Studio;
2) you are creating Report Server Project (there is no support for Report Model Project);
3) as I understood, the 4.55 version works exactly in the same evironment. But if you uninstall 4.55 and install 5.10.96 - provider is not available. Is this correct?

If so, please check the following.

dotConnect for PostgreSQL v 5.10.96 installation package should perform the following actions to make the SSRS support be available:

1) to place Devart assemblies at
a) \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Devart.Data.PostgreSql.ReportingServices.dll
b) \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Devart.Data.PostgreSql.ReportingServices.Design.dll
c) \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\ReportServer\bin\Devart.Data.PostgreSql.ReportingServices.dll
d) Devart.Data.PostgreSql.ReportingServices.dll (GAC, version 5.10.96.0)

2) to create files
a) \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\DataWarehouseDesigner\UIRdmsCartridge
\Devart.Data.PostgreSql.xsl
b) \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\Bin\Cartridges\Devart.Data.PostgreSql.xsl

3) to make the records with the Devart.Data.PostgreSql entry to the following files:
a) \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\RSPreviewPolicy.config
b) \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\RSReportDesigner.config
c) \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config
d) \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer\rssrvpolicy.config

Notify us about the results.