Question about the assembly

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
nimli

Question about the assembly

Post by nimli » Fri 21 Jan 2011 23:04

Hello,

We use "dotConnect for PostgreSQL" for one module. We put the Devart.Data.dll and Devart.Data.PostgreSql.dll in the bin folder because we won't want to touch the GAC in the production server.

Recently, we are wondering if we should move to LinqConnect for future development. According to the LinqConnect documentation:

"....you should register run-time assemblies Devart.Data.XXX.dll, Devart.Data.dll, Devart.Data.XXX.Linq.dll and Devart.Data.Linq.dll at Global Assembly Cache (GAC) ... or place them in the folder of your application (Bin folder for web projects)..."

Here is my question.

LinqConnect comes with a different versions of Devart.Data.dll, Devart.Data.PostgreSQL.dll.

If we want to use LinqConnect, it seems I will have to overwrite the existing dotConnect's dll in the bin folder.

Does the LinqConnect's dll support dotConnect as well? If not, does it mean we cannot use both dotConnect and LinqConnect at the same time? If so, is there any workaround? (...we hope we won't need to rewrite the old module...)

Many thanks!

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:31

LinqConnect can be safely used with dotConnect for PostgreSQL assemblies, provided that they are of compatible versions, i.e., that the Devart.Data assemblies used by LinqConnect and dotConnect for PostgreSQL have the same build numbers.

The recommended way of deploying both modules is to install the latest versions of LinqConnect and dotConnect for PostgreSQL on the development machine, and deploy the assemblies from these installations to the Bin folder of your application.

Please tell us if anything is unclear.