Problem with silent installation

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
erich1978

Problem with silent installation

Post by erich1978 » Tue 07 Sep 2010 12:19

Hi all,

I have a problem with the silent installation of dotConnect for PostgreSQL 4.95.152. The silent installation is not so silent as expected. By installing the help a window appears where i have to click on an "Add"-button.

The support-team from devart said to change the installation on the command line to "dcpostgresql495pro.exe /TYPE=CUSTOM /COMPONENTS="..." /VERYSILENT /NOMACHINECONFIG" with the limitation of "Help files" in the components-list. To get the componentnames i started the GUI-installaion and filled them into /COMPONENTS-part of the silent installation. For testing i called the installation like this:

dcpostgresql_v4.95.152_pro.exe /TYPE=CUSTOM /COMPONENTS="Design time support assemblies, Support for ADO.NET Entity Framework, LINQ, Entity Developer, ASP.NET 2.0 Web Providers, SQL Server Business Intelligence Solutions, Enterprise Library Data Access Block, Samples" /NOMACHINECONFIG

but only "Support for ADO.NET Entity Framework" and "Samples" appeard in the list on the "Select Components"-window.

So i need to know the internal componentnames to adapt my silent installation so that it is really silent and the internal names of the tasks. I also have to do this for "dotConnect for Oracle 5.70.152" and want to know the componentnames and tasknames for Oracle too.

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Erich Lerch

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 08 Sep 2010 14:31

Here are the names of components and the corresponding command line parameters:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Design time support assemblies (component name) -> DesignTime (parameter name)
Support for ADO.NET Entity Framework -> Entity
LINQ -> LinqRuntime
Entity Developer -> ModelerTool
ASP.NET 2.0 Web Providers -> WebProviders
SQL Server Business Intelligence Solutions -> SSIS
Enterprise Library Data Access Block -> EntLib
Samples -> Samples
Help files -> HelpFiles
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We will include this information in provider's documentation (the Installation section).

erich1978

Post by erich1978 » Thu 09 Sep 2010 10:54

Hello Shalex!

Thanks for fast answer. It works now.

When you change the documentation add also the internal tasknames.

Thanks.

Erich Lerch

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 10 Sep 2010 15:01

Could you please tell us the exact tasks you mean?

Here are additional keys (or additional functionality) that are supported by our installation:
/nomachineconfig - no provider factory registration in DbProviderFactories section of machine.config.
/silent and /verysilent - besides standard functionality, no FAQ page is shown after installation is finished.
/nofeedback - no Feedback page is opened after uninstall.
/nomergepackage - not install menu item and toolbox components into Visual Studio (will be available in the next build).
/mergehelp - merge Devart documentation to MS Help collection (will be available in the next build).