Installed v4.90.120 and now unable to connect in VS2010RC

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
tomhirt

Installed v4.90.120 and now unable to connect in VS2010RC

Post by tomhirt » Fri 23 Apr 2010 15:41

I just installed v4.90.120 after 4.90.124 was not playing nice with .net4 RC. I was able to get it installed, but I did note VS2010 is taking forever to load. Not sure if this is related. But my concern is before I start going into existing projects and update the versions in code, I created a new project, and trying to build a new connection string. So as I am going through the Configure Data Source wizard and defining the Postgres DB server name, user name, database name, I get an error when selecting the scheme dropdown. I try to hand write it and save and get same error:
"Database schema could not be retrieved for this connection. Please make sure the connection settings are correct and that the database is online."

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Mon 26 Apr 2010 11:26

Such issues may be caused by installation of a prior version after a newer one was installed.

To resolve the problem, please try to perform the following steps:
- uninstall dotConnect for PostgreSQL;
- remove all Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* assemblies from the GAC;
- clear the %Program Files%\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\ and %Program Files%\Common Files\Devart\ directories;
- re-install dotConnect for PostgreSQL.

After that, integration with Visual Studio 2010 should be performed properly. Please tell us if this helps.

migle

Post by migle » Mon 26 Apr 2010 13:50

I had a lot of trouble, because alongside Visual Studio 2008 which I use professional, I had installed the Visual Studio 2010 beta 2.

Not only did install not work properly, entity developer crashed on code generation, couldn't connect to the DB, etc, etc...

So, I suspected that he was using .NET framework 4; and I only had installed .NET framework 4 Beta 2.

I tried installing the release .NET framework 4, then reinstalled dotConnect, and things have gone better since that.

Miguel

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Mon 26 Apr 2010 15:07

After un-installing the driver I did not see any Devart files in c:\Windows\Assembly. This is the correct place to look for GAC files, right?

The only files left over in the program files/Devart/Postgres were the sample files. Removed the Postgres sub folder.

Reinstalled version .120 and same problem. I can tell there is going to be an issue when I'm adding a new connection, I supply the Host server name, userid, password and when I click on the Database dropdown, it never shows me the list of database. Gives me a bogus error that Database "pg_user" does not exist. "pg_user" is the value I typed in the UserID field.

Mingle, I'm using VS2010 RC and thus the RC .net4. I was told v4.90.120 is to be used with RC.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 27 Apr 2010 10:08

Please try using the 'Test connection' button on the connection dialog. What message does it return?

c:\Windows\Assembly should be the proper directory for GAC assemblies. Please check that there are no policy files referencing to the 4.90.124 build, i.e., no files like "policy.4.90.Devart.Data.PostgreSql" of the 4.90.124 version.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Tue 27 Apr 2010 11:40

The Test button always says "Sucess", even when I have incomplete or bogus info for database name. I have a meeting and then I will confirm that no left over 124 files exist. Thanks!

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Tue 27 Apr 2010 14:17

My IT guy is looking into the full release of VS2010. I guess if I do that, then I need to uninstall v.120 and make sure to install v.124 after installing VS2010?

Anything else I can do now to get my project visible for review?

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Tue 27 Apr 2010 19:25

The IT manager had me download the trial first to make sure this works before we commit. But he tells me the trial is the full version and extending is just a matter of product key entry.

So, I removed VS2010 RC (which removed .net4 rc) and v.120 Postgres drivers.

I then installed VS2010. Restarted. Installed Dotnet postgres drivers version .124. This game me no errors. Yeah!

I then started VS2010, opened a new project, created a gridview and started the process to create a new data source. I got the same exact error and problems. The drop downs in the Add Connection would never display the available databases. I manually add the database and scheme and click on TEST and it shows me sucess. I do note that this time I cannot enter bogus info in the database name as it will say database does not exist. Same for Scheme.

So even though the test comes back clean, it allows me to click NEXT, I can give the connection name assignment, and on that NEXT I get the error I orrignally provided.

Also can go directly to my Server Explorer data connections and I can click one time to expland. I try to expand tables or any other object and get the message "Type 'e' does not exist"
Last edited by tomhirt on Thu 29 Apr 2010 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Wed 28 Apr 2010 10:19

We have reproduced the problem in the following case: user 'pg_user' exists, but works on a database with a different name, i.e., there is no database 'pg_user'. We will investigate the issue and notify you about the results.

If this is the case for you as well, you may create an empty database 'pg_user' on your PostgreSQL server as a temporary workaround.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Wed 28 Apr 2010 13:53

I created a new database called "pg_user" and was able to now see the list of available databases in the the Database dropdown in the Add Connection dialog. How ever, when I click the dropdown for Scheme I get the same type of error "Type 'e' does not exist".

I went into the new database "pg_user" and created the name of my scheme "plus". But that didn't help.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 29 Apr 2010 09:36

Thank you very much for your assistance, we've reproduced the error on PostgreSQL servers of version 8.0 and prior. The issue is connected with the update of metadata queries intended to support newer PostgreSQL escape symbol rules. Please specify the version of PostgreSQL server you are using.

We will inform you when the problem is fixed. At the moment, there is no workaround for this problem and related design-time problems when using PostgreSQL servers of version 8.0 or prior and dotConnect for PostgreSQL of version 4.90.120 or higher. The run-time should work properly though.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Thu 29 Apr 2010 12:55

We are running version 8.0.3.

What's the ETA on this? I'll out of town for the next 2 weeks. WHen I get back, should I consider loading the older driver version that worked? The only reason I moved up to the lasted version was due to the license conflict when using VS2010 RC. I now have the full version.

Thanks for all your help.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Fri 30 Apr 2010 09:00

The issue with connecting as a user with no database of the same name is caused by the fact that a connection to a PostgreSQL server cannot be opened without specifying the initial database. The only exception is the case of connecting as a superuser ('postgres' by default). If the database is not specified, we substitute its name by user name.

We have fixed other problems. The fixes will be included to the nearest build, which we plan to release in a week or two.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Mon 10 May 2010 15:12

Just checking on the latest build release. Any new info?

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 11 May 2010 12:55

We plan to release the new build in about a week. We will notify you here when it is published.